Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to go over seas in a few years to travel and work. By the time I'm ready to go my chow/golden mix will be 11 years old. Is it safe for a dog that old to take a ~20hr flight? Its possible for me to leave him with family but I don't know how long I'll be gone. I don't want my little stinker to kick the bucket waiting for me to come home. At the same time I don't want to pay a few thousand dollars to transport him and not have him make it. Does anyone have experience traveling with old dogs?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think it will really depend on your dog's health at that point in his life. You would of course have vet visits and such in order to ship him anyways and you can ask the vet about his age and any flying concerns. Or even a couple vets to get more professional opinions if you are nervous about it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yikes, 20 hours is a really long time. Is there a lay-over where he can be brought out to relieve himself?

You would also need to do some research on which airlines take animals in cargo and if the cargo space is climate controlled. Some airlines will also not fly animals during specific seasons due to too hot or too cold weather.

Have you looked into specifics on bringing your dog? What documents are needed? Is there an age restriction? Quarantine, and how much will be it to board for the time needed?

I just heard of a person who has been fostering 2 senior Shih Tzu's. She's moving out of the country and was going to adopt them and bring them with her. Unfortunately, she is not able to because of their age. I don't know which country she's going to though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't done extensive research on airlines yet. To make it ~20hrs there would be a lay over between 1-3hrs. It looks like I could double my travel time but have a few long layovers for the same price.

The quarantine process seems pretty straight forward. I pretty much have to get a special microchip, give him two rounds of rabies shots, and do a special blood test. Then I have to wait 6 months. If you do that and give them 40 days notice with your vet paperwork before you arrive they'll only quarantine him for 12hrs there. Quarantine doesn't cost anything. You're just responsible for food, water, and clean up after your pet. I didn't see anything on their site about age restrictions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We flew Ginger from Orlando to Puerto Rico when she was 11 years old. It seems like that's a short distance, but the only flight we could get went from Orlando to New Jersey, then down to PR. Plus it was delayed in NJ, so she was in her crate for over 15 hours without anyone even letting her out to potty. She was a mess when we picked her up. But she made it and didn't have any long term issues. Now it's starting to look like we may end up in Alaska next year, so she'll have to do another long flight. I'm definitely more worried now than I was then, since she'll be 14.

I definitely think you're on the right track of scheduling layovers so he has a break. Ginger was 70lb when we got here, so we had to use United Pet Safe program as their cargo holds are air conditioned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts