Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home a 6 month old chihuahua last month, and have been keeping her either in my room or in a crate in our living room so that my sisters dog (7 year old beagle/terrier mix) can get used to her. Before I got her we agreed to let them meet and see how it plays out, but shes just completely changed her mindset.
Im not worried at all about my dog being aggressive with my sisters dog, but she is worried he will be aggressive with her. And she is so tiny that he can definitely do some serious damage if gets ahold of her. (shes 4 pounds and hes around 30 pounds)
So far in my opinion, he has shown no signs of aggression when she is in her crate in the living room. He will go up and sniff at her, and she'll do the same. He'll usually just stand by her crate for a maybe half an hour and just stare at her then go back to my sisters room. Sometimes when she tries to get him to play with her from the other side of the gate in my room he'll growl and whine a bit, but It honestly feels like he just doesnt know what to do. Hes never barked at her.
Hes not aggressive towards our two cats, and has never bitten anyone, but hes never been around other dogs before and does have a bit of food aggression. my family is concerned he will attack my dog and is pushing me to just have her stay in my room permanently and wont even consider just testing it to see how he reacts to being around her. I dont think this is fair to my dog, because she prefers to be around me, and I dont like leaving her in my room/a crate all day.
At this point, I dont know who is right or wrong. Everytime I bring it up she gets upset and says I'll be sorry when I find her dead, and that shes seen plenty of dog fights and knows something will go wrong. I dont know how to convince her to let them meet, and im worried I may have to rehome her. I feel being stuck in a room all day is not a good life for a little dog.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
I dont like leaving her in my room/a crate all day.
I feel being stuck in a room all day is not a good life for a little dog.
I agree, that doesn't sound good.

Why not have both in the family area but with leashes on, to see how they react but still have control?

If the beagle has food aggression, obviously make sure there is no food around, and feed him first so he isn't anticipating food.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have always introduced dogs on neutral ground a park or other open space so that theres lots of room for them to move about and avoid each other if they want/need to . I always do this introduction on leads and reward good behaviour.

I do agree that while the chi is very small any interaction should be supervised dont leave them alone but if you continue to hide the chi away the other dog will get jealous

1 - 3 of 3 Posts