Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or is it impossible in some breeds?

I've got professional training classes lined up for the new puppy, but I'm also taking note of things that I can start doing at home right away.

I've read that papillons can easily develop separation anxiety because they love being with their owners so much. I don't mind having a dog following me around the house or sleeping near my feet, that's normal to me, but I wouldn't like having a co-dependent dog that needs me within eyesight 24/7, screams and freaks out when I'm not available, and basically isn't confident in him or herself. I'd like to be able to take a shower without the dog in there with me, so to speak. We are stay-at-home people so I'm even more worried the rare time we have to leave him for an hour or two he would not be used to it and have problems. I do plan on crate training as a start.

My last dog loved being with his people and had a bit of separation anxiety. I don't know if we did anything to cause it. It was stressful for him and us if we ever had to all leave the house (we had one stay-at-home person at that time). It wasn't until he was old and sick that he started minding his own business, not caring if he could see us or not, lying on the deck without us, and whatnot. This time I want to avoid developing a super velcro dog in the first place, as the breed I'm getting is apparently even more attached to their people.

I've cared for dogs that I couldn't even go to the bathroom without them clawing at the door anxiously. No idea how you would stop stuff like that from happening. It seemed like neediness was in their personality. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid the pitfalls of separation anxiety? Is it possible to teach a velcro dog to be more independent before potentially making it worse?

·
Registered
63 Posts
A big thing to keep in mind is do not praise unwanted behaviour. That is probably one of the biggest mistakes dog owners make. Always make sure to praise the behaviour you want from your dog. Here's an example in separation anxiety: you come home from work, let you dog out of his crate and he is going absolutely insane with excitement and you join him and go crazy over him and pet him and hug him. Basically you are praising this state of mind. You want to make sure you praise your dog when he is calm and relaxed - which could take a few minutes, and it is very hard to ignor your happy puppy!

My dog had separation anxiety issues when he was really little. I did not want a dog who barked and cried and destroyed things when I wasn't there, so I was determined to fix him ASAP. It worked very well sticking to a strict daily routine and he is very good with being alone now.

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
You absolutely can teach a dog to stay calm when left home alone or when you leave their sight (such as you going into the bathroom).
This is were I would start.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.