Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chocolate lab puppy has taken a liking to sticks and will bring them indoors to chew on. My neighbor, who is a vet tech, says this is okay, but I'm concerned that he may swallow a large piece that could puncture his intestines. What are your thought on this?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
he may swallow a large piece that could puncture his intestines. What are your thought on this?
Those are my thoughts. Stick to safer chewing things such as Nylabones, antlers, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I've heard bad things about my vet via antlers and cracking teeth (friend of mine had a dog that cracked it's teeth too).

My personal opinion on this is that all dogs need to be carefully watched when chewing on ANYTHING-and if you're worried and large chunks are coming off then trade up for something different that works better. Koda is fine to chew on sticks as long as she's supervised (she chews them into TINY pieces that i need to vaccuum since I can't pick them up, and they're entirely slobbered on and more like mush once she's done with it XD) but things like her cotton rope toys need to get put away if she starts chewing. She had a red kong dental toy once too but started tearing off small pieces (less than kibble sized) and although everything passed fine I ended up taking that one away from her as well. I personally love my kong extreme :)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I've heard bad things about my vet via antlers and cracking teeth
Antlers and some dude named cracking teeth told you bad things about your vet? LoL

My antlers don't talk sadly but Nyla talks to them because she loves them so much!

Bottom line- know your dog. Always monitor them and stick with the safer options.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Antlers and some dude named cracking teeth told you bad things about your vet? LoL

My antlers don't talk sadly but Nyla talks to them because she loves them so much!

Bottom line- know your dog. Always monitor them and stick with the safer options.
Posted via Mobile Device
God sorry no-my vet and friend both told me about antlers cracking multiple dog's teeth. I'm a bit off this morning (and lately) I guess. MY BAD. ><

But yea bottom line seems to be pretty solid. XD

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That gave me a good laugh this morning...thanks!

I think I'll put a stop to the stick chewing, at least until I see the vet again. Thanks all for your help. Have a great weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
When Sam was a pup, his life revolved around the sticks.......until one got stuck to the roof of his mouth. Poor boy came running to Mom with mouth open as if to show me what had happened.
I removed it, and he no longer has the desire for sticks, he's into marrow bones now, that is his new passion.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fearghas LOVES sticks, antlers, bully's, decks, bones, hands...
He will chew it if it's available.
I worried about his stick chewing, but watched him carefully and he will chew it to pulp...almost literally. Once he had small wood pieces stuck in his bottom teeth and came up to me and almost grimaced so I could see and pick out all the wood stuck in his lower teeth.
He doesn't do it as much anymore, but still chews the non-wood things previously mentioned.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Know your dog's habits and supervise. I let my dog chew sticks, but just because when he chews anything, he just tears pieces off and spits them back out oh so methodically. He just chews to destroy. And his chew toys are indestructible, so sticks give him his fix of mayhem.

Sigh. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

If he tended to swallow bits, then I wouldn't let him.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like a good way to gauge it. I think he's just spitting out the pieces but I want to make sure. I know labs are notorious for eating items they shouldn't. I've had to "dig" rocks out of his mouth on several occasions. I'm not sure if he'd swallow them, but I don't want to find out the hard way. I know someone who had a lab that had to have surgery to have a big rock removed. He was cut all the way down his belly.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
360 Posts
My dog likes to chew things up and spit them out - she used to do this with rope toys until we got her an indestructible one which she now loves. If your dog likes chewing you are worried about, you might be able to get him a safe toy and teach him only to chew on this. My dog also stops to chew on mostly rotten wood while out on walks, which doesn't seem to have done her any harm so far. I did stop her when she tried to take to picking up small stones to chew on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts