Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family recently adopted a 6 year old jindo mix who was mistreated by her previous owners. She's lived only outside most of her life. When adopting her, our family made a compromise to not let her inside because my mother did not want fur all over the house. We regularly hang out with her outside, playing fetch and tug, reading, etc. She has a doghouse and plenty of water, and the backyard's fenced. I'm just wondering if this is okay. If not, I'm gonna need some very strong warrants to persuade my mother to let her inside.

Also, she's never worn a collar but we think it's best for her to wear one just in case she gets lost. Any recommendations on the most comfortable collars?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most collars today are pretty comfortable. If you plan on taking her for walks, I would recommend a buckle collar. My dog has pulled out of snap collars without meaning to and I know a few of my friends' dogs have also. The fit of the collar is one of the major things that could be the difference between a collar that is comfortable and a collar that is uncomfortable. It is recommended that three fingers can fit easily between your dog and the collar.

I don't know what the weather is like where you live, nor the type of dog house you have. If it gets really cold where you live, is there a laundry room or a crate that you can put her in at night? We use to do that with my dogs before they lived in the house full time. I have also had a dog that we kept outside all night. The porch was well sheltered and she also had a very sheltered dog house.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dogs can be fine living outside as long as the area is escape-proof and there is adequate shelter for the dog from the elements. I even know some folks with heated and air-conditioned dog houses so their dogs can be comfortable in the harsher seasons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice! We live in the bay area east of Oakland, so pretty nice weather all year (although it can get really hot in the summer). The jindo's an incredibily resilient breed so I'm not too worried about the weather.

The dog house is a dogloo, and Coco (our dog) only goes in there when it's raining - she usually sleeps right in front of our door. I'm thinking of building some sort of overhead so she doesn't have to be confined to the dogloo when it rains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also regarding collars, I only want one for Coco for identification (in case she gets lost). For walks, we use a harness that works fine.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It depends, with some extreme temperatures, I'd take them in the house or some other place that is better isolated, but generally a jindo is a pretty good dog for being outside a lot, regarding his fur and size.
he always should have a dry place as shelter from the weather and sun, water and at least once a day food.
having him in the yard doesn't mean that he doesnt need walks though.
make sure it has loads of contact with the family and you exercise him mentally and physically.
it will be fine outside of you spend loads of time with it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts