Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I somehow didn't realize before (even though I do daily oral care) that my dog is missing teeth in the middle of his bottom jaw, the same way horses have a gap in their teeth. I've never thought about it, but would there be a reason he would seemingly not have all his teeth? Hopefully you can see the gap in these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm no expert but I don't think its "normal." Does he chew on things that he shouldn't? We caught our Yorkie trying to eat those wood chips in the yard so we had to get rid of them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I think I see it, but it probably won't cause any problems, most dogs do just fine with some missing teeth. There are some breeds that are prone to missing teeth.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His teeth are healthy and white and he chews on bones easily. He doesn't practice inappropriate chewing at all. I was afraid it was something to be concerned about lol

Reactions: McCourt

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry about it, but you can always call your vet and ask them if you want. It sounds like it's not causing any problems....

·
Registered
29 Posts
We recently visited the vet and he discovered our pup was missing 9 teeth. He is only 1 year old so the vet ordered x-rays to make sure they weren't stuck under the gum.

Long story short, they weren't, he is just missing 9 teeth. The vet said there is no issue with missing teeth and he is fine, but if there are teeth under the gums it could cause issues with gum disease.

You may want to get his mouth x-rayed, but I doubt it's a major concern.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I posted something recently about the same thing!! I noticed that my pup was missing one of her teeth, (I think the same one as the one missing in your picture) and I started worrying but she's adjusted and her teeth are still clean/white and she has no problems chewing her raw bones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts