Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my puppy pax seemed to be bouncing off the walls from 6-10 months, I had to take him on many walks a day for him to be mellow. I did a lot of capturing calmness and that helped a lot. Now, when I'm at home or work, he pretty much sleeps 80% of the time. Especially at work, he'll sleep until I call to him to go outside to pee or when it's time to leave. I also work at a horse barn part time and I'm wondering if this is helping to drain his energy? He plays all day with the other dog there, or he follows me. I'm just a worried mother, but he just seems really calm for how young he is... And he's supposedly a Lab/Border Collie! Does this sound normal, or should I be worried?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I seem to recall reading that a healthy adult dog will sleep up to 18 hours a day, so I don't think I would be too concerned, as long as he is healthy, eats, drinks and plays, when he is awake. Couldn't hurt to have your Vet check him out, just to be sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dog sleeps about 16 hours a day and she's 2 years old, so I think there's nothing wrong with your puppy's sleeping habits. Just keep an eye on him for any other unusual behavior :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
He is lethargic when he's up? If not I wouldn't be too worried. Dogs sleep most of the day. My year old dane is only active for short burst through out the day most days. Other days she sleeps more. As long as he is active when he is awake, eating and drinking normally I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I seem to recall reading that a healthy adult dog will sleep up to 18 hours a day, so I don't think I would be too concerned, as long as he is healthy, eats, drinks and plays, when he is awake. Couldn't hurt to have your Vet check him out, just to be sure.
Yep, 16 - 18 hours is pretty normal for a dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts