Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't quote on quote raw feed my dog but I occasionally will for a couple days or give her rmb's. I'm just not confident I'll know how to give her proper nutrition and haven't looked into it enough.
So I was wondering if it's important to defrost meat? I always just gave it to her frozen, like a turkey neck and she's always been happy. Does it decrease nutritional value or anything? What's the point?
I did defrost for the first time yesterday using the fridge overnight method and it worked well, just it's a bit of a hassle since I would usually give her meat unplanned.
50 pound, 8 year old cattle dog who's still got some energy and seems very healthy (even more so when I give her raw and she becomes a lot more involved and happy to spend time with me)

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
I don't have any reservations about giving my dog a mostly frozen RMB. I let it thaw a bit so it isn't rock hard but is still plenty "firm". My dog is a fairly strong chewer so in some cases it's better when it is somewhat frozen. It makes her work more chewing it down and enhances the dental benefits IMO.

As far as depleting the nutritional value by freezing, I would guess if it does, it is marginal. I know properly freezing wild salmon and other anadromous fish along with other fish taken from certain waters in the Pacific NW is probably a good measure to take to protect your dog from salmon poisoning if fed raw.

Your thought " (even more so when I give her raw and she becomes a lot more involved and happy to spend time with me)", well I couldn't imagine why not as they are as content as can be, working that RMB over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
However if I catch catfish in the pond/lakes around here I freeze it for a week before feeding

I don't feed pork often and when I do I freeze it for 4 weeks minimum regardless of where it came from.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't feed pork either and I freeze beef bones for a while too, and I'm not certain which bones are good to give other than turkey necks and chicken haha. I just felt like people obsess about defrosting and doing it correctly, good o know I'm not the only one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts