Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2 year old male boxer x collie. We have had him since a pup and I have done training classes and agility with him so in general he is very well behaved. However he has a bit of a dominance issue with certain other dogs - especially my friends black lab. He has known this dog since he was a pup and in general they get on really well BUT when they first meet each time my dog gets very growly and prancey and over powering. My friends dog cant move without being jumped on and growled at in a hollow kind of growl. My dogs tail is wagging constantly so its not really an aggressive thing? its just frustrating and often people look scared to walk anywhere near us.
Even worse my dog has started to do this with my partner but ONLY when he is let off the leash. He will turn towards my husband and prance around really growly and again overpoweringly. He is not a small dog and if we didn't know him better it is quite a scary thing to witness.
How can I stop this behaviour.

PS he only ever behaves like this off-leash. But he definitely needs a good romp around to get rid of some of his energy:confused:

PPS he is neutered and has been since he was a pup.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
could be tat he was neutered too early.
some neutered dogs don't fully grow up, because the hormones are missing.
they always stay a bit puppy-like. ;)

different dog breeds also some times play in different ways.
I had a boxer and if he played with dogs he really liked, it was also pretty rough and with loads of jumping at each other and jostling. him and his fellow boxer friends also got really growly when playing.
it was just communication and absolutely harmless.
as long as the other dog is fine with it I wouldn't intervene.

if you want to get rid of some energy swimming, long walks to new places every day and loads of obedience training is the way to go.
my dog is far more tired after 30 minutes of heeling in the city centre than of 2 hours playing with other dogs.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Possibly a play growl? Echo sounds like a demon a lot of the time while playing because she's trying to get us to pay attention/join in. Is it accompanied by a play bow? But in the air, shoulders down. If you don't like it and feel comfortable ignore the behavior and reward when he displays a better one.

We have issues with Echo jumping on strangers because she is so cute no one ignores it even if we request it, she won't jump on us because we don't react. She now sits at or on our feet for attention.

Whatever you do, do not punish him for growling. It is extremely useful for dogs to express their needs and if they suppress it they can move more quickly to biting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I always ignored it when he done it with my friends dog but now that he has started doing it with my partner too its a bit worrying. He runs circles around him growling and prancing and then has nipped at his heels and stuff. I know its for a reaction of some sort because the more annoyed my partner gets the more adamant my dog gets too. He has on occasion done it with me so I tend to just put him back on the lead for a minute or 2 until he calms down and then let him off again however this doesn't work with my husband.

It does only tend to happen at the beginning of his walk when he has mountains of energy and he calms down a bit then.

Also we had to neuter him early because his balls/testicles never came down and the vet warned us it would be safest to get him neutered as early as possible so I think he was about 7months old when we had him done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would suggest you have your partner start playing tug with him, this will build attraction towards your partner, allow him to get the "bite out" and ground stress. If done properly, you should find that playing tug and always letting him win will help with his issue with other dogs too.

It is not dominance, it is stress.

How to pay tug-of-war with your dog the right way to improve connection (video)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts