Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Its a bit hard to tell from that photo, do you have a top down photo?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I would also like to see an above photo, but he does seem a touch heavy to me. I would like to see more of a tuck-up towards his back legs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know if this is good enough. I keep him pretty active, but he always has had that "never enough food" attitude. With the excuse of him being a "growing boy" I have maybe fed him a little too much... He alternates between Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Blue Buffalo Rocky Mountain puppy recipes.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Feel his backbone. If you can easily feel it but not see it that is good. Same with the ribs. In some breeds it is healthy to see around 2 ribs but not all ribs. If it is harder to feel the backbone and(or) ribs I would put the dog on a diet. If you are unsure, a vet can check him out for you.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Looks better from the top view, but a little on the heavy side in the side view.

It might just be the way he's built. Can you easily feel his last two ribs when you pet him? With him having a short coat that'd be an easy way to tell.

My boy Zody is right at the point that if he gained 1/2 a pound (he's 11 pounds) he'd be fat, he should weight 10.5 to 10 lbs, He has a bit of a silhouette when viewed from a above, and a bit of a tuck when viewed from the side, but not as much of either as he should have. I can feel his ribs when I pet him but not as much as I should. If your boy is also like that then he likely needs to loose a pound or two depending on what his ideal weight should be.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has a bit of a silhouette when viewed from a above, and a bit of a tuck when viewed from the side, but not as much of either as he should have. I can feel his ribs when I pet him but not as much as I should. If your boy is also like that then he likely needs to loose a pound or two depending on what his ideal weight should be.
I think this is accurate of what I just felt! I CAN feel his spine and last two ribs, but I do have to push a little bit. I guess I'll have to cut back on food a little bit...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When he's older, I plan on taking him with me on jogs. Right now he wears a backpack with only a pound of weight in it, just to get him used to the feel of it for when I eventually weigh it down for walking/hiking (obviously when he's older). I take him on a couple walks a day as well as play our fetch and stay games where he gets to run a lot in a field, but I don't do that too often cause I don't want to hurt his joints... I can't take him swimming much anymore cause it's getting too cold.

I'm going to measure his food and cut back by a half a pound a day, but in case that doesn't help, what other things can I do to help him lose weight? I used to add flaxseed to my older dogs' foods when they were working on losing weight... could I do that for him?

·
Registered
893 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about putting him on a strict diet. He is still growing and young and the excess weight will distribute as he grows more. I don't think he looks too bad, he has a waist line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts