Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read an article that stated that feeding grain free food long term might cause heart problems, because it causes deficiency of taurine? Should I be feeding it? My grain free is not fancy, just diamond Nutra Nuggets beef and pea. I have two dogs allergic to grass, we got by for a long time on Diamond Lamb and rice but then Lady started getting ear infections so we switched to grain free fish, then later Nutra Nuggets. Brandy gets yeast infections between the toes of her right front foot sometimes, so I started feeding grain free to everyone. Should I not be doing this? They also get meat and vegetables sometimes, but I am careful what they eat as much as I can be with dogs who are outdoors a lot on a ranch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres an interesting article if you google search Taurine supplements are usually required in present day - vitahound.com > dog nutrition
Thank you I found several interesting articles that help a lot. It sounds like the FDA is ringingg alarm bells for too broad of a category, and if I want to be sure they're getting enough I can add a little fresh meat to their diet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres an interesting article if you google search Taurine supplements are usually required in present day - vitahound.com > dog nutrition
Thank you I found several interesting articles that help a lot. It sounds like the FDA is ringingg alarm bells for too broad of a category, and if I want to be sure they're getting enough I can add a little fresh meat to their diet.

·
Registered
745 Posts
mm yeah there's a discussion on it on this forum if you want to read use the search tool on the top right & put all posts plus grain free or similar search word. They reccomend to check that theyre not only eating grain free that has majority legumes peas cereals etc To realise the ingredients is listed majority in the 1st 4 ings & to aim for 1 that has actual meat in it, not just meatmeal or animal fat etc It is much better for dogs to have biscuits aswel as real fresh meat as you mentioned & taurine should be listed as an ing if its a good healthy biccy, same as it should have vitamins omega3s & 6 & minerals etc. dogs also need fibre iron calcium etc My dog used to always snack on dried seaweed at the beach & would carry it home- she was fine, no pollutants or choking. I always wondered why she did it until I read about taurine being in seaweed. Smart little dog-☺

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
This is a really good discussion to have with your vet.

Malabsorption is different to a deficiency, I'm not sure supplements are the answer. Adding extra to a system that can't absorb it may limit it's effect.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's not just about taurine either. Some dogs have been diagnosed with DCM even though their taurine levels were fine.

Personally, I stay away from foods that have peas, lentils, or potatoes in the first 5 ingredients - which basically includes every single grain-free food that I've researched.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most man made animal diets will have their flaws.

Some studies say grain free can have issues with nutrients and even risk heart problems
Some studies say several of the most common used grains can cause an increased chance of allergies and gut problems
I even read a study where they said chicken can cause skin irritation.
Raw are said to be unsanitary and dangerous
Home made is hard to do while getting the nutrition right. No food option is going to be absolutely perfect.

Talk with your vet, discuss some of the options out there. Maybe even a pet dietitian. Research, ask questions. Doesn't matter what food you are considering. Gather up all the information you can get to make a good educated decision.

I tend to go for the grain free for my dog. He eats Wag - Beef, wild boar, and Lentil recipe.

Of all the various evils of all the food options, that's the evil I'm going with. My dog is still young, and his food is supplemented with tasty bits of raw fruits, veggies, and the occasional cooked meaty nibbly. He's almost sixteen months old now. Vet already has blood work on file. I raised my boy on grain free. I'll keep you posted if anything bad happens, but so far he's glossy, bright eyed, energetic, and all the things a dog his age should be. Again, maybe it's just because he's young.

I tend to avoid corn like a plague in all of my animals food and rice is only something I'll only feed my dog if he's sick. Corn is a nightmare in any carnivorous pet food, it's usually second or third ingredient if not first, particularly in some of the cheaper brands. and rice is such a simple carb it breaks down into fat at the drop of a hat. That's just my two cents on it. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most man made animal diets will have their flaws.

Some studies say grain free can have issues with nutrients and even risk heart problems
Some studies say several of the most common used grains can cause an increased chance of allergies and gut problems
I even read a study where they said chicken can cause skin irritation.
Raw are said to be unsanitary and dangerous
Home made is hard to do while getting the nutrition right. No food option is going to be absolutely perfect.

Talk with your vet, discuss some of the options out there. Maybe even a pet dietitian. Research, ask questions. Doesn't matter what food you are considering. Gather up all the information you can get to make a good educated decision.

I tend to go for the grain free for my dog. He eats Wag - Beef, wild boar, and Lentil recipe.

Of all the various evils of all the food options, that's the evil I'm going with. My dog is still young, and his food is supplemented with tasty bits of raw fruits, veggies, and the occasional cooked meaty nibbly. He's almost sixteen months old now. Vet already has blood work on file. I raised my boy on grain free. I'll keep you posted if anything bad happens, but so far he's glossy, bright eyed, energetic, and all the things a dog his age should be. Again, maybe it's just because he's young.

I tend to avoid corn like a plague in all of my animals food and rice is only something I'll only feed my dog if he's sick. Corn is a nightmare in any carnivorous pet food, it's usually second or third ingredient if not first, particularly in some of the cheaper brands. and rice is such a simple carb it breaks down into fat at the drop of a hat. That's just my two cents on it. :)
Yes I have learned from experience to avoid corn, causes BAD allergic reactions in one of my dogs. I'm sticking with grain free for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts