Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want her to grow up big and strong and very athletic

Does the quality of the food really make a big difference?

·
Registered
438 Posts
The best food is the one your dog likes , the one that they thrive on and the best you can afford.

Dont be fooled by names or glossy ads read the ingredients label and decide or use a comparison site there are lots about.

Just to add.... Food alone will not make a dog athletic. Genetics has a part to play eg, a bassett will never be as athletic as a whippet but with good diet and exercise they would be more athletic than other bassets.

Exercise is another factor that together with food can really make a difference in build and stamina.

Can I ask exactly what sports are you planning with your pup?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
There are some foods that contain high levels of cheap ingredients to make the dog feel full without much nutritional value. That usually means a lot of poo.

If you read the ingredient list, the contents are listed in order of biggest quantity. So if maize or corn or similar is the first or second ingredient, that's a big part of the food.

”Animal derivatives” can be any part of any animal. That doesn't have to be as bad as it sounds, wild animals will eat everything. Unspecified meats (as opposed to saying chicken, beef, lamb etc) means you could be getting any, or a mixture. Again, not necessarily a problem if your dog doesn't have intolerances.

Personally I like to know what I am feeding so I do look for specifics. The label of his food reads -

Fresh pork meat (70 %, Iberian pork only), dried potatoes, dried fish, dried brewers’ yeast, dried apple pulp, salmon oil, yucca extract, cold-pressed flaxseed oil, cold-pressed olive oil, green-lipped mussel extract, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, dried african marigold, dried dandelion, dried broccoli, dried green tea, dried chamomile, dried oregano, dried milk thistle seed, dried cranberry seed, dried seaweed, potassium chloride.

·
Registered
302 Posts
20200521_175611.jpg
This is what my dog is currently having.
One thing to know is meat by products is dead cats and dogs from vets and roadkill ect. Its an art learning the ingredients list and how they word things. It took a long time for me to completely understand it. Its incredibly sneakily clever the way pet food manifactures label things

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
That's worrying - in the UK there are strict standards.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's worrying - in the UK there are strict standards.

Thanks for that i had a read of it.
In australia its self regulated. I falsy assumed all other countries were the same. I didnt realise how behind we are.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are some foods that contain high levels of cheap ingredients to make the dog feel full without much nutritional value. That usually means a lot of poo.

If you read the ingredient list, the contents are listed in order of biggest quantity. So if maize or corn or similar is the first or second ingredient, that's a big part of the food.

”Animal derivatives” can be any part of any animal. That doesn't have to be as bad as it sounds, wild animals will eat everything. Unspecified meats (as opposed to saying chicken, beef, lamb etc) means you could be getting any, or a mixture. Again, not necessarily a problem if your dog doesn't have intolerances.

Personally I like to know what I am feeding so I do look for specifics. The label of his food reads -

Fresh pork meat (70 %, Iberian pork only), dried potatoes, dried fish, dried brewers’ yeast, dried apple pulp, salmon oil, yucca extract, cold-pressed flaxseed oil, cold-pressed olive oil, green-lipped mussel extract, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, dried african marigold, dried dandelion, dried broccoli, dried green tea, dried chamomile, dried oregano, dried milk thistle seed, dried cranberry seed, dried seaweed, potassium chloride.

what's your opinion overall?

Should I get my girl this bully max high performance food? Will it really make a difference?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Pets and animals used in labs road kill and farm animals that have died of sickness come under catagory 1 here and are forbidden to be used in any foodstuff human or animal..

Only catagory 3 meat is used for pet food that is meat which has been slaughter in the correct way but fails to meet 1 or more code and is rejected for human consumption the carcasses of meat for human consumption which have been stripped blood bone and snippings /trimmings of human grade meat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Pets and animals used in labs road kill and farm animals that have died of sickness come under catagory 1 here and are forbidden to be used in any foodstuff human or animal..

Only catagory 3 meat is used for pet food that is meat which has been slaughter in the correct way but fails to meet 1 or more code and is rejected for human consumption the carcasses of meat for human consumption which have been stripped blood bone and snippings /trimmings of human grade meat.
Lets hope australia catches up soon enough

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
It has quite a high fat content and a high rice content in my opinion. And I'm always a little suspicious of foods marketed towards a particular breed - if you want your dog to be athletic, you are in the same situation as many people who have working or sporting competition dogs of all sorts of breed.

But, I'm not in the US so I don't know what else is available. If you are happy with it, go for it. At the end of the day, the best food for your dog is the one she does well on and that suits your budget.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like a good brand. Avoid corn, wheat, and soy as dogs tend to be allergic to those. And meat by product is the part of the animal we won’t eat (eyes, legs, beak) also animals that have died and been dead for while due to overcrowding amongst the animals until the body is discovered. It’s also a matter of preference on your wallet. I know people who feed strictly raw the entire life of the dog. My dog uses Zignature which is grain free and very affordable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
animals that have died and been dead for while due to overcrowding amongst the animals until the body is discovered. .
Is this practice common in the USA? Its forbidden here ... do you have any links that prove this? I ask because I just find it hard that such a rich nation would be so disgusting when it comes to feeding their animals

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is this practice common in the USA? Its forbidden here ... do you have any links that prove this? I ask because I just find it hard that such a rich nation would be so disgusting when it comes to feeding their animals
According to my research pet food is strictly regulated in usa under the fda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts