Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen several toxic lists w broccoli on it.

They all say its toxic in certain quantities but nobody can agree on that certain quantity.

Broccoli is one of the "green leafy" bladder cancer fighters and I want to use it in my homemade dog food, but how much is too much?

Today I made 6 lbs venison plus 3 peppers, 24 0z broccoli, and 16 oz greens (not incl supplements). Am I going to have to alternate that with something broccoli free like fish and green beans??

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
My cat ADORES cooked broccoli, she will literally steal it right off your plate, and she doesn't care if you're looking or not. If it was toxic in anything other than very large quantities she'd be dead as she's eaten several ounces worth at a time.

Have to add, when I asked the vet about it he just laughed and said as long as it didn't give her diarrhea to not worry about it....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The other thing that might be putting it on those lists is that broccoli and some of the leafy greens contain a lot of calcium, so in theory that could cause problems... but again it's a matter of the amount you're feeding rather than whether you're feeding it at all.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
My cat ADORES cooked broccoli, she will literally steal it right off your plate, and she doesn't care if you're looking or not. If it was toxic in anything other than very large quantities she'd be dead as she's eaten several ounces worth at a time.

Have to add, when I asked the vet about it he just laughed and said as long as it didn't give her diarrhea to not worry about it....

Shadow adored frozen broccoli. He'd come running when I took a bag out of the freezer, and be so disappointed if I didn't give him broccoli.:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts