Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 11 week old choc lab, my first dog by myself. So im trying to get her good food. The breeder was feeding her retriver which i am currently continuing. But the bag is close to empty so ive been looking for other foods. So my question is, is blue wilderness all it is cracked up to be? Or is there a betyer alternative for cheaper or around the same price that is easily available. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I'm not into Blue. I think it's overpriced for what you're getting.

At the lower end of the budget scale, TOTW, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and 4 Health are all good brands that won't break the bank. (You can get the first two at chewy.com and 4Health is sold at Tractor Supply Store.

At the upper end of the budget scale, there's Earthborn, Acana, Orijen, Canidae, and Fromm to name a few.

Generally speaking, you want a food that does not include corn, has named meat in the first few ingredients (you want duck as opposed to poultry, poultry can mean anything with wings), and does not include sugar, menadione, BHT or food colouring.

Look at the ingredient lists for the foods I suggested to get an idea of what you should be looking for.

ETA: You should also rotate proteins regularly. Any protein you get exposed to day and day out can lead to allergies, so every bag switch the protein. I feed Acana and I rotate thusly: 1 bag fish, then pork, then duck, then lamb, then back to fish.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Amaryllis pretty much covered it all. Blue Buffalo is pretty much the Subway of the dog food world. It advertises itself as better than all the other fast food joints, which it may be, but it's not exactly the quality it presents itself to be.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I figured that much about blue, but i wanted some.more experienced views. But i believe i will go with 4 health asi have a local tractor supply close to me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Blue gives Cosmo diarrhea and I've heard the same problem from a couple other owners so I personally don't like it. Amaryllis covered it, you're pretty much paying a lot more for a "better than some" food.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I really like Canidae, great food at a great price, probably the cheapest of all the high quality foods and better than many that are close to double the price. They have a "Pure" line that is grain free if that's what you want. It is a great bang for your buck as it is quite high calorie and has natural, high quality ingredients. I highly recommend it. My girl gets diarrhea on other high quality foods but does very well on the Canidae.
I don't like Blue, it's quite overpriced IMO. Maybe if it was half the price I would like it alright. The Wilderness is a better food but still very overpriced and not as good as other grain free foods such as Canidae or others.
If you're looking for something grain free that's very reasonably priced try Natural Balance, they have limited ingredient diets but there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be suitable for any dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts