Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a pet novice, however as I am soon starting college and living alone in the house with a yard or at the small apartment with my parents during the winter, I realised I need a loyal guard dog who can keep me safe and be my cuddly furball best friend at the same time, as well as an active companion for hiking and adventures. Are these dogs good for first time dog owners and I wonder if they are not too clingy because I would need to keep it as a guard dog outside in the backyard during the night so I could sleep tight without any worries about potential intruders?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello! How much time per day can you put into exercising and giving your dog mental stimulation? Where will the dog stay while you're gone? What does the average day look like to you? Why can't the dog sleep in with you? It would make more sense because it would be in the house with you rather than outside because why not break in if the dog is clearly outside where the burglar does not have to test whether the dog is friendly or not...

·
Super Moderator
2,512 Posts
A dog that puts off intruders could also present problems for neighbours, delivery people, visitors etc.

And a dog like that needs an experienced handler.

If security is that much of a concern you would be far better with a good security and alarm system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts