Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a small patch of artificial grass mat today (1.8mx1.5m), just so my dog has something soft to play on if she wishes as my small backyard is paved.
we're in early summer now where temperatures are usually between 32-38c, (today was 37)

I've heard artificial grass can get hot in summer but so can paving, so I'm just curious just how hot it can get and if it will burn my puppy's paws/skin, she is only a small breed, I want her to be safe.

Does anyone have artificial grass installed?
Would it be advisable to hang some shade cloth or a sail of some sort?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Dogs for the most part are pretty good at determining for themselves if they're too hot and will seek shade. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as your yard as partial shade available.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I would put up the shade cloth at least over part of it. Artificial grass can get hot if it's in direct sunlight from what I remember having it on our porch when I was a kid. Of course, summer where I lived meant 100+ degree temperatures. If your highs are much lower than that, it may not be as big of a concern.

If she likes water, another idea could be to put some misters up. It would really help to keep her and her area cool, and artificial grass generally has good drainage and is typically made to be mostly mold resistant.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your dog is very cute. I think she will be ok with the grass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I just came home and it is 41.7 (107 degrees F), the grass was very hot, but only as hot at the paving which I find odd as they are a light colour, mind you I stood on the pavement for less than 1 minute and already I can feel them coming out in blisters. I checked pup's feet - they seem fine with no sign of blistering.

I'm going to organise some shade over a section of the courtyard, but my dog also has access to indoors 24/7 when I am at work.

When I came in I hosed down the paving, the grass and the dog all in one :thumbsup:

thanks for everyone's suggestions and input. much appreciated.
now I'm going off to ice my feet :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts