Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few years I have wanted a dog, and I've done a fair bit of research into what dog would fit me best. Now, after a bit of saving, I am financially ready to buy. I am just really nervous about getting it wrong!
For a long time I have loved Kelpies because I am an active person who runs most days, and on other days I trail ride with my horse. I also love hiking and cycling, generally anything in the outdoors! I want a dog that has the energy to keep up with me on my adventures, and also one who will be a loving and loyal buddy. This will be my first time owning a dog, but my family have previously owned dogs and I will be living with them for the next few years while I study locally and make enough money to move out. Additionally, I am planning to enroll in puppy school.
My biggest concern is about leaving it alone while I'm studying. I am prepared to get up and run with it every morning once it's old enough, and take them for another when I get home. At the moment I live on a medium block of land rurally, which I'll hopefully stay here for for a few more years. The dog will have to be kennelled/tied up during the day as our yard is not fenced. I wouldn't mind putting it in doggy daycare a few days a week but I can't really afford daily in the long term.
Suggestions? Ideas? I'm really scared of getting a Kelpie and finding that it can't handle being home alone for 6-8 hours 5 days a week.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I’d agree. Kelpies are intelligent and need to be kept stimulated with a job to do. I have a friend who is a vet with years of experience owning and treating numerous dogs and he says that kelpies are not beginners dogs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
no, cattle dogs need to be on the go constantly they were made to be working ALL DAY long

i have a border collie and she doesnt stop,

i literally take her for a 2 hour hike up a mountain, a quick run around the oval on the way back. and once we are home 5 minutes later shes running around the back yard again. (not even kidding)

·
Registered
27 Posts
may i recommend getting a active independent dog that is happy to be home alone for a few hours? like a shibu inu or a basenji, a older grey hound would proberly be good for that as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your input everyone. It's a shame this won't work because for the foreseeable future I'll be studying or working full time, and it seems I won't be able to get a dog for many, many years.

As for Basenjis and Shibu Inu, I've had friends who have owned both these breeds and have found them not great for first time owners and the Shibu owner found her dog wasn't very good with other dogs and tended to go off on her own when off leash, so I think right now these breeds won't work for me either. As for greyhounds, I've read a bit about them and they are not endurance dogs so wouldn't suit hours of running alongside my horse which is something I want for my dog to do. Thank you anyway, I appreciate the recommendations :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts