Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just adopted an about 6 month old Pit/Husky from a rescue center. As you could imagine, he’s very hyperactive. All I want is to take him out on walks and hikes etc. but have been advised by the rescue staff to keep him on my property until he has his third round of DHPP Vaccine. His first round was at approximately 4 months, and second round 2 weeks later. He is already scheduled for his third, but is it really necessary? Some pages I’ve read have said that multiple vaccinations are not really a good thing. My ultimate questions; should I take him in for his third booster? Is it safe to take him out and about where other dogs have surely been? Any advice is much appreciated!

,Corey

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would get it titer tested you will have to ask the vet. I wouldn't take it out anywhere tell tested if it passes and the dog still has the vaccine still running through his system I wouldn't get it but if it's low then go ahead and get the booster. Can we see a picture please

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Have titer tests done. That will tell you which if any are needed. They measure the antibodies (immunity) in the blood, and only vaccinate for ones needed. If your dog is already immune, more vaccines won't increase that. They are either immune or they aren't. Over vaccinating actually does more harm than good, and wrecks the immune system.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If his last vaccine was given at 16 wks or older and the previous vaccine was given within 4 wks of the last, than he is good to go. With the DA2PP, and variations of such, they only need a minimum series of 2 shots at an appropriate duration apart and the last one give after the pup is 16 wks old when we know the maternal antibodies have fully worn off and no longer interfer with the vaccine.

https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/canine_vaccination_guidelines/practice_vaccination.aspx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here’s a pic! He’s adorable. Thank you all for the advice, but after all, he won’t be going out for a while. We found a spot of ringworm on him. I’ve had him for 5 days so I am sure it came from living at the rescue center. I’ve never dealt with ringworm before and I’ve never had it myself. This is a stressful nightmare, I’m terrified that my other 2 dogs or the 3 of us that live here may get it. I am separating the dogs now and trying to keep my distance but it’s hard. Any advice on ringworm precautions would be appreciated, thank you all!

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
When in doubt, follow the vet's advice.

If your vet is following the normal progression of shots, your pup is due for his final DA2PP immunization, as well as his rabies vaccination. It seems like he's giving you good advice.

By the way, how did you determine that he has ringworm? Did your vet provide confirmation?

Puppy Vaccinations You Need to Know | petMD

·
Registered
713 Posts
By the way, how did you determine that he has ringworm? Did your vet provide confirmation?
Agreed. You need to have a ringworm diagnosis confirmed by your vet. This is usually determined with a positive woods lamp test and ideally a positive ringworm culture.

I've seen more than my fair share of owners assume that thier pet had ringworm based off a diagnosis by the Internet or rescue organization that has little to no medical knowledge. This usually turns out in 2 ways. The more common scenario was that it wasn't ringworm and the pet had to suffer with a different issue going untreated for weeks before the owner gave up and seemed professional help. The second less common scenario is that it was ringworm, but the home remedies did not work, made the problem worse and/or led to a secondary skin problem because it wasn't treated correctly in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts