Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry If this is in the wrong place, I've just joined.

Basically I have an Irish Setter, she will be 2 years old on the 16th of August.

Recently she went off her food, she has done this before and we thought nothing of it and put if down to the weather as it has been very hot lately. Then my brother looked at false or phantom pregnancys and she has displayed all of the symptoms.

-off her food
-more agressive lately
-restlessness
-she vomited once the other week
-her teats have gotten bigger and there was some crusty white stuff i noticed yesterday whilst grooming her
-shes been scratching the floor too which I heard is a sign of pregnancy

Ok, so we put this down to a false pregnancy, then my step dad told us another dog mounted her about 2 weeks ago (!!!) but the owners said he was neutered, but we can't be sure, and now all these symptoms have happened. I really, really hope she isn't pregnant, but what do you think? We will be taking her the vets if these symptoms carry on but I just wanted some other opinions.

Thanks in advance, i'm really worried :(

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Personally, I would want to know for sure either way sooner rather than later, so would be setting up an appointment with the vet asap. :)

If she is pregnant you have a lot of work ahead: making sure mom gets the care she needs during pregnancy, preparing for the birth of the pups (you'll need to gather a ton of supplies as well as learn quite a bit very quickly), prepare for caring for pups and mom after delivery (food, vaccinations, etc.), and start working on finding good homes.

And if she isn't pregnant, then do consider having her spayed not only so that there will not be an oops! litter in your future but also so that she will not have another false pregnancy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
- Was she in heat when the mounting occurred?
- Do you know the dog/owner of the dog who mounted her?
- Is there any way to determine whether or not the other dog was neutered? (i.e., can you go to this person's home and check - it's not too hard to tell)
- Did the dogs "tie"? (how long did the mounting last?)

I can't imagine why the owner of the dog who mounted her would lie about his dog being neutered. Also, if your step dad and the other dog's owner were present, I would be really surprised if the mounting resulted in tying, which could lead to a pregnancy (I would hope at least one of them would have interrupted the mounting immediately).

However, if your dog is displaying those symptoms, and has been for a little while (more than 24 hours), I think a vet visit is in order regardless because something is not right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts