Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a large well known pet sitting company in the Northern VA area. We had a steady pet sitter we liked for a while but she left the company a few months ago. We have a new guy and a few things bother me. My husband is deployed to Afghanistan currently and it is just me and the two furry children. I noticed our pet sitter would use the toilet every day even though he was there for a 15 minutes visit. I get emergencies but every day? I put an out of order sign on the bathroom and it worked for a while but now I see on my security camera he heads in that direction after he gets in from the walk. In addition he will occasionally leave full poop bags in front of the gate in the front yard. yesterday I noticed he put the leashes back in a drawer in the entryway and one had poop on it. I am seriously wanting to ask for another pet sitter from the company but am I being too nitpicky?

·
Registered
233 Posts
You are not being too nit picky but you should definitely talk to the sitter before complaining about him to his boss.

Also I have to ask; why is the bathroom thing a big deal? Chances are he spends his day going from house to house; where do you EXPECT him to use the bathroom?

Regardless if he is doing things you don't like, that adult thing to do is tell him so. Specifically tell him to stop each behavior. If he stops, great. If not, THEN request a change of sitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just the everyday thing. I think a lot of women would not like a guy they don't know using their bathroom. What is so attractive about my bathroom that you use it everyday. I also had a bad experience with a pet sitter about 10 years ago and I guess you could say I am uber sensitive to it. She would make calls on my home phone, brought a watermelon to the house and cut it up and ate it leaving a mess on my couch. When I fired her I had to change the locks because she kept trying to get into the house.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yikes! She sounds like a nightmare!

But please remember that HE isnt doing those things. Most people's bodies function on a schedule including the need for bathroom breaks. It could be that the house he visits after yours has a dog that will scratch at the door or tear up the carpet if he uses the bathroom there, or it could be as simple as him eating breakfast before getting to your house and, like a dog, needing to relieve himself after a walk. I'm just saying it doesn't strike me as odd.

HOWEVER; if it bothers you, you need to tell him. It doesn't matter how "silly" the offense because it is YOUR HOUSE. If you tell him he can only place his left shoe onto the carpet and not his right, then those are the rules. The thing is, he probably has NO IDEA this bothers you. In fact, he probably doesn't know you know! If you want him to stop, you need to tell him. Simple as that.

I know it can be extra difficult to confront people, especially men, when your husband is gone. I've experienced this in my own life as a military spouse. But consider this; if you request another sitter it WILL impact his work reputation and paycheck. Depending on your state laws and how many people apply to the company, it could get him fired. Is it fair to jeopardize his job without even mentioning the issues to him first?

Something as simple as a note pinned to one of the leashes tomorrow stating

"1)please do not use my bathroom
2)please dispose of all poop bags properly and stop leaving them by the gate
3)you left poop on the leash yesterday, please be sure not to put poop in my drawers next time"

Could be all it takes to solve your pet sitting woes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
As someone who has intestinal issues and frequent bathroom emergencies, I will say that denying someone access to your bathroom is not very nice. He probably has a routine... coffee before the stop before you and by the time he gets to your house, he needs to go. Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

The poop on the leash? Oversight, imo. Unless the leash was covered, I doubt it was malicious.

Poop bags by the front gate? Just chat with him. Tell him where you want the stuff.

Personally, I don't think any of this is the end of the world.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I would have a chat with him. The bathroom thing does seem a little extreme but the poop bags and leash thing may just be because he doesn't know. Also if you're not comfortable with a man coming in your house maybe you should speak to the company about that.

Reactions: SilverSageClev

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think jclark just came up with the ideal solution there - just tell the agency you would be more comfortable with a woman instead of a man. That way you are not complaining about him or anything he did, no slur on his character. Problem solved

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've always wanted to be a pet sitter, but the rural area i'm from just doesn't have enough demand for it.

Sounds like kind of a bad situation with this guy but I would just make one comment...

As far as the bathroom thing goes, he may have a legitimate reason for doing it. He could have some medical condition or who knows what that makes him have to go more often. I'm a diabetic and if my blood sugar gets too high i'll have to go about every 20-30 minutes. It's only when your blood sugar is out of whack, but most people do not take proper care of it.

Just something to consider. What you do is up to you though, its your house and your doggies.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Also, while the man might be a perfect gentleman...be on the safe side.

If he's had the key to your home, and you no longer use him as a walker, change the locks on your door. You just never know who that man is, or could be in another year or so, and even if he turned in the key, copies can be so easily made.

And...when home alone, have a keyless bolt you can turn to make double sure no one can open your door with an ill-gotten key or pick-lock set.

I think the suggestion that you tell the agency that you prefer a female walker would be a good idea...and make it clear that it was nothing the male walker did wrong...it's 'you' not 'him' - just make it clear you don't want him to lose his job, as that wouldn't be right.

Stormy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts