Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

My name is Claire. I have a 2 year old Jindo/mix named Vader and we live in NJ. Vader is well trained, wonderful personality, overall sweet loving boy. We took in an 18 year old cat a few months ago, and they have become close. We enjoy playing, and every night love to lay by the fire. This past Saturday, a severely neglected dog literally showed up at my front door. She is extremely underweight, she was limping, dirty, and she is very skittish. We took her inside and tried to give her some food, but she did not want to eat. She seems cordial with Vader, but she continues to hump him, and doesn't care about the cat. After several hours and many phone calls, the owner was found. He showed up to my house with a rope to get her. My boyfriend was livid, and the man admitted to neglecting her due to his son's allergies and asked if we wanted her. There was no way we could let this man leave with this dog. We come to find out that her name is Sugar and she is 14 years old. She looks like she might have some pitbull in her. We are going to try and give her a good life for the time she has left. She has come to like laying on Vader's bed, even though I bought her her own bed yesterday, along with some new toys. Vader seemed OK on Saturday and Sunday, but last night he started to whine by the side of the bed, which he never does, he sleeps like a rock when it's bed time. Our routine was greatly different this morning for obvious reasons, we're still trying to get to know Sugar. She does still want to hump Vader a lot, and to that, Vader will run away from her and jump on the bed where she hasn't jumped on yet. This happened during dinner time which prevented Vader from eating. My question is, do you think Vader's personality will change if we keep Sugar? I don't want to lose the sweetness of him if he is angry that Sugar is now living with us. As of right now, she has not once relaxed except when she fell asleep. When she's not sleeping, she paces and cries. I am trying to comfort her the best I can, and I know it's still early in this process, I just don't want my Vader to resent me and I REALLY don't want him to become stressed out, that is not fair to him. Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated, as this worry has not left my mind. I just want them both to be happy and feel loved and have a peaceful, calm environment for them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Try to just take it one day at a time. Being that she's 14 years old, she could very well live another four or more years, but the reality is that she probably doesn't have much time left. So even if Vader is inconvenienced, it won't be for a very long time.

I think with time, both dogs will improve. They just need time to settle in. Sugar probably is scared, she could have possibly been abused. You can try to work with her, and should, yet at this point it's probably best to make her feel as safe and happy as possible. Hopefully she'll come around in time.

As for Vader, give him plenty of alone time and plenty of one-on-one time with you. Maybe every time Sugar tries to hump him, you call him up next to you and give him a goodie. And/or you redirect Sugar and give her a goodie.

It's good of you to take Sugar in, it sounds like she really needs a loving home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your response. It will definitely take some time to adjust, and I think I kind of just needed to hear that from someone else, so thank you...I worry a lot. I do think Sugar was abused, when I try to pet her, she instantly cowers, but has already improved with that since she's been with us. Also, I contacted the owner today to ask if Sugar has any toys he could drop off, I thought it might be comforting to her to have some of her own things. He seems as though he cared for her, but just wasn't able do so properly and I'm not sure how much of his story I believe. Do you think it would be a bad idea for her to see him again?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Good for you and your boyfriend for taking the gal in! I get absolutely choked with people who insist on keeping their dog when they so obviously cant/have no interest in caring for it.

My opinion aside, the personality traits of dogs are pretty static. They may alter their behavioral responses (say, if Sugar was allowed to repeatedly bite Vader, Vader might become guarded and aggressive towards dogs) but their natures (excitable, introverted, goofy, affectionate, etc) pretty much are what they are.

With the musical beds issue... there are many exercises that can be used to familiarize a dog with its bed. I suspect that since she's an elderly girl that has experienced a big upheaval of her normally monotonous life, she likes that the bed smells like her new friend Vader. It might also help if you can put something with lots of vader's scent, like a pillow or a toy, in the bed for her. If she is in Vader's bed and you need her out, I'd recommend using a command over trying to physically moving her. A lot of people's first instinct is to try and tug/lever/roll the dog from its sleeping spot, but this is quite intimidating to the dog and can eventually provoke aggression.

With the humping... basically what Poppy said. Redirect and reward. Bear in mind that this is probably the most stimulation and social contact that her poor brain is had in years, so she might not know quite what to do with herself and how to interact politely with the new family.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reponse Kelly. I really like the idea of putting a toy or pillow of Vader's in Sugar's new bed. I think I will try that tonight. She seems like she is pretty hard of hearing, so the commands might be difficult, but I'm sure with some work and time with her, we will be able to find something that works for her needs. I feel bad siding immediately with Vader, but he is like my baby, I am very protective of his well-being, and I just didn't want to confuse him by disrupting his normal day to day activities. We worked really hard with him to get to the place that we are. My mother-in-law lives next door and has a yorkie. Sugar attacked him yesterday when she brought him over. No injuries, but enough to scare this 5 pound yorkie. Maybe that was too much too soon for Sugar. It's interesting to me that this happened, because she hasn't tried to bite Vader at all. Maybe because she knows he lives there? My sister watched Sugar and Vader today while my boyfriend and I are at work, I would hate to think of them not getting along with no one there to mediate. I am working from home tomorrow so I can do the same, I'm not sure if they'll have to be seperated the rest of the week until we can work more closely with them this weekend. Thanks again for your response, I'm so glad I found this website. Hopefully time will do the trick and Vader and Sugar can become close like he has with the cat, lord knows that wasn't love at first sight! Sugar definitely needs to see a vet soon too, her breath is unbelievable, she has a lot of teeth rot. She was a good girl while I gave her a bath though. Thanks again for all the input and advice!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
For the time being (next few weeks) I would limit the dogs interactions. Let Sugar settle in without the pressure of other dogs around. She may have had little to no good experiences with other dogs. If at all possible, she should be crated when she is not actively supervised. Good luck.

If you can get McConnell's book Feeling Outnumbered. It's a good read and full of practical advice on helping dogs get along in a multi dog household.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Grabby. The crate might be a good idea for now when neither one of us are able to be home. I will definitely check out that book also, I want to make the right decisions throughout this process.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Some dogs are fine with other dogs their size, but have difficulty seeing anything like a tiny dog as anything other than a toy or prey. It takes time and training to get that mindset out of them, and at 14 years old already it might be best to just keep Sugar away from anything literally toy sized.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're so right, my mother in law brought over her Yorkie, and Sugar attacked her. She is OK with my dog though, who is bigger than her. She has come around incredibly, showing so much personality, but unfortunately, she is very sick. We took her to the vet (she hadn't been in over 7 years) and the outcome was grim.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Okay, even if a dog is old, it should not get a free pass for bad behavior. Do not let the old dog harass the other dogs, that's not fair to the other dogs and being old doesn't make it acceptable.

I am a MOSTLY positive dog trainer, but there are occasions where a loud, low 'STOP THAT' is appropriate, followed by a doggie time-out.

On a side note, a Jindo mix huh? Thats quite unusual. How did you acquire that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had never heard of a Jindo until we found my Vader pup. He came from a shelter in NC that I found through petfinder. We did a doggy DNA test and it came back mostly jindo, and part lab

1 - 11 of 11 Posts