Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I apologize for jumping on the forum for an immediate help me / panic mode post but the girlfriend and I are at that point. Not new to forums so I know how much of a pain people like me right now can be.

So here's the background; the girlfriend and I have a 6 month old spayed female that we got from a rescue. She's a wonderful little ball of energy Amstaff/Shepherd/ChowChow/&others mix.

This morning, on my drive back to the office from meeting with a client, I spotted a dog running up the off-ramp on I4 in Orlando, actually just a few blocks from the tragedy that occurred last weekend. I hopped the median and ran into a nurse and 3 other people who was already trying to get a hold of him over the past few blocks with no luck. Don't know why but I have that gift where one whistle and he came trotting on over. After about an hour of petting and re-hydrating the apparent pitbull/sharpei mix, I was able to load him in the back seat of my car. We went down to the vet who helped us out with some very low cost service. Fecal test was clear, heart worms were clear, had a few fleas but Trifexis took care of that, and took some x-rays of his limp. He has one leg that had been fractured at one point in time and didn't heal properly on top of some bad hips that require surgery. He doesn't have Displasia, I'll have to get more info on it but essentially the socket is more flat than it should be round which makes it difficult for him to walk properly. He is a little over a year old, scared of a lot of things, was malnourished, and we believe was ditched because of his hip and leg issues. He had been house trained already and trained to sit, but he's also incredibly calm and good with other dogs. Needless to say at this point, my girlfriend and I feel for this guy. He's clearly been through a lot and of the other people trying to get him to safety he trusted me to help him out. I'm okay with spending the $1.5k-$2k it's going to take to get him properly healed up, but we need to make sure our Harper is taken care of as that is currently our #1 priority.

When they met they were both very friendly with each other. He had been growled at the vet, and barked at at the groomer who I had clean him up with no negative reactions. He was very calm in a room with 10 other dogs playing around at the groomer as well. A few minutes into Harper and the new guy meeting, he tried to mate with her. So the main question...will this behavior be easy to stop once he's neutered? We don't know if or how many times he's mated in the past. If I give him a quick "EhEh!" he generally stops, but if we keep him around we want to make sure he never tries to mate with Harper.

Btw to just to throw it in there, if we can't keep him he'll be going to a no-kill shelter where we rescued Harper. Don't worry. =)

Sorry ahead of time for any incoherent sentences or typos, like I said this is kind of a holy crap what do we do moment.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've had an intact male live with a spayed girl. My situation was a bit different than yours, but it can be done.

Mounting is not always about mating. Dogs mount for a number of reasons, males and females. Spayed/neutered and intact. My neutered boy mounts other dogs when he gets stressed or over stimulated. Some dogs will also mount as a way to try to get another dog to play. Neutering will not make this go away. Like I mentioned, it's my neutered boy that mounts. My intact boy is not a humper.

You've only had the dog (and thank you for getting this guy off the streets!) for a day. Many dogs will kind of shut down for a while. It can take many months to get to know their true personality. I would give him time, only supervised time with your other dog. The mounting may lessen as he settles in, but neutering won't stop it. I would try to redirect his attention if he starts, or separate them for a few minutes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
First off, thank you for your kind deed and not just leaving the poor little guy to fend for himself. Good on you for stepping up and getting him some proper care.

I will agree with what has been said, dogs mount for many reasons. That said, I had a male dog that would mount my other male during excited play. The behavior did stop once he was neutered.

He sounds like a good dog. Give your two dogs some time to get to know each other (supervised), and separate them when you are not home (at least at first).

·
Registered
917 Posts
SchnauzerGirl8810 is right, neutering *may* stop or lessen the mounting. But you shouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i agree with the posters above, i have a spayed female that always mounts while playing, especially when she meets new dogs, we just laugh it off as a personality thing.

the behavior might go away or it might not, i'm inclined to believe that if it keeps happening it can become a habit and will be harder to get rid of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone, he actually hasn't tried since the very first time we let them play together and if it looks like he's about to try it an "EhEh!" seems to help. The guy is a sweetheart so we're keeping him from here on out. Neutering, microchip, and first hip surgery scheduled for Tuesday of next week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts