Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm leaving the country for about 2 weeks at the end of the month. My awesome neighbor is keeping the pups at her place while I'm gone. They love her and her dog and I think it will be really fun for them. However, when she is at work she will drop my dogs back off at my apartment to be picked up when she gets home. Unfortunately, she works for about 7-9 hours a day for one long chunk of time. She can't come home for lunch or breaks, because the job is far away. My pups are used to being left for shorter periods of time, 2 or 3 times a day.

I am planning on hiring someone to stop by at midday to let them out and hang out with them. However, I am nervous about how the Akita puppy will react to a new person. It takes him a long time to warm up to new friends and he is very protective over me/the apartment. The person who I have chosen will come over to meet the dogs before I leave, and I am wondering if you have any ideas of how to strategically introduce him to the puppy. I will only have about 30 minutes to get them acquainted so I need to be efficient! I am just thinking lots of treats.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
LOTS of treats. Ask them to ignore him when they come in and just keep dropping them. Don't let them reach out for him until he's comfortable.

Make sure they'll be planning for enough time to wait and help him be comfortable if that's all they end up doing and taking him out. If you have a yard, I would get them to play in the yard and not do a walk.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts