Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have an 8 week old Beagle puppy, Denver. I got him one week ago and since then every hour of my life has been playing with him or researching about him.

In all of that research, I constantly come across instructions to introduce items like the leash and crate slowly, but I also need to use those items immediately. For example, on day one I needed to transport him home using the crate for his safety/to prevent accidents in my car, but he was not accustomed to the crate so he screamed for the 15 minute drive. All of the books say to introduce the crate slowly, but how can I do that when I need it right away?

Along the same strain, I'm trying to house train him by keeping an eye on him at all times using the "umbilical cord" method, but he just yanks and yanks on the lead. Also, if I want to take him for walks with the lead, he yanks on it. It's a slip lead and I'm afraid he is going to choke himself because he is not accustomed to the lead (should I just be getting a different leash?) And all of the training books/videos say to get the puppy accustomed to the lead slowly, but also to take him outside constantly to house train. How can I possibly do both!?

I feel like I'm getting so much conflicting information. What do I do?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As far as the crate goes, sometimes you have to do things for safety. The crate training is for long term use. With a young pup like that I would use a pen with the crate in the pen. Here is a training video to help with crate training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4
For the leash I would get a harness so the pup does not choke. Keeping him leashed to you is a great way to potty train. Here is more help if you need it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've always just put the pup/dog in a crate with lots of toys, etc. Sometimes they take to it right away, other times I hear crying for a while but usually not for too long before they get used to it. I do not have the time to slowly introduce things like everyday items such as a create or leash. So far all dogs are fine, no long term negative effects. What works for me is act like it's no big deal, they usually follow along quickly, unless said dog has some serious issues that require specialized training.

One of my dogs actually loves crates. I don't use crates for my dogs anymore but whenever a new foster comes I use a crate and as soon as I bring it out from storage, my dog is going right in it and takes a nap. I also had one of those huge cat enclosures for when Cheddar was a tiny kitten, my dog too tried to get in that when I first brought it home.

I agree with Dawnben that a harness would be a good idea instead of a slip leash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.