Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

We are looking to introduce a new puppy (around 8 or 9 weeks old) to our home later next month. We have an intact male Tervuren, age 2 1/2, whom we've had since 8 weeks. He does not mark inside the house but will mark outside the house. He is not allowed to mark people's cars other neighborhood property so he mainly only marks grassy areas, where he likely smells cats and those damn groundhogs he loves so much. He lives with a cat but has grown up with him. He's marked inside twice, when he was much younger, but that's all that I'm aware of and am not sure why. Once was the side of the couch, by his spot, but it wasn't much. Once he marked my bookbag. I have no idea what that was about. Other than these two times, which were done out of sight, he's been aces on that. I'd like it to stay that way!

Any experience and/or insight on likelihood of this happening as a young adult dog, due to a little puppy? Any best practices recommended? I tried to search the forums on this but couldn't find results using both "intact" and "puppy", as results seemed to pertain to either one keyword or the other. Search-engine/operator issues, I guess.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
I think your best bet is vigilance. It's easier to not let it become a habit than to stop it if it does become one if that makes sense.

I take it you are fine with him marking outdoors?

Is your puppy male too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your best bet is vigilance. It's easier to not let it become a habit than to stop it if it does become one if that makes sense.

I take it you are fine with him marking outdoors?

Is your puppy male too?
I don't let him mark on walks or hikes, if I can help it, which is most all of the time. But out in the backyard when he's playing or when he goes out to potty, it's not an issue. Or at least I didn't think it was an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't let him mark on walks or hikes, if I can help it, which is most all of the time. But out in the backyard when he's playing or when he goes out to potty, it's not an issue. Or at least I didn't think it was an issue.
Puppy will be female as I read that's generally the safest route to go. He is fairly submissive or seems to be. I'm open to additional information as far as that goes, though. But I specifically told the person I wanted a female.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
I think you have set yourself up for success as much as is possible, so just keep a close eye on him.

By the way, I hope you don't think this advice is free - we take payment in puppy pictures!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts