Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I have a 6 1/2 year old male gsd and I got a 8 week old golden retriever puppy last night. From what I read before getting him the two breeds should get along ok, when I got home with him my dog would just smell him but if the puppy would walk up to him he would run away. Today he would also avoid him but it seems as though it was less than yesterday. My dog never had a problem with other dogs when in the park or on walks, although he’s only been around a small dog a couple of times. I try to split time spent evenly between the two, I still take only my dog on walks as I always did and stick to a similar schedule. I take both outside and try playing with both so they get used to it. He doesn’t seem to growl or anything to the new puppy. Is there any signs I should look out for? How long might it be before I notice my dog accepting him? Is there any indication that my dog will just never get along? Thanks for any advice would really like to know where I stand.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Growling would be quite a strong indicator of discomfort. I'd watch for other more subtle signs like muscle tension, tongue flicks, etc. The avoidance you're seeing is also probably an indicator of discomfort, so I'd suggest giving your adult dog a comfortable 'puppy-free' area they can use to relax and escape the puppy's exuberance. Puppy socialization classes may also help to teach appropriate dog manners.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Growling would be quite a strong indicator of discomfort. I'd watch for other more subtle signs like muscle tension, tongue flicks, etc. The avoidance you're seeing is also probably an indicator of discomfort, so I'd suggest giving your adult dog a comfortable 'puppy-free' area they can use to relax and escape the puppy's exuberance. Puppy socialization classes may also help to teach appropriate dog manners.
Well whenever my dog want to get away he just goes upstairs, he hasn’t growled or shown any aggression towards the puppy, just runs away. Even when playing in the yard he might come up to him if he’s just laying down for a couple seconds but walks around him when trying to come to me. Overall behavior remains roughly the same when puppy isn’t around. Really mostly worried if they’ll ever get along

·
Registered
903 Posts
Chances are good they will be just fine.

It is likely that your older dog does not (yet) view the puppy as a 'dog' - he is not quite sure what that furry thing is. (Has he ever been around a puppy before?) Puppies don't behave like adult dogs, they don't have the social skills yet (the best teacher of dog to dog social skills in an adult dog who does have solid appropriate skills) or mature dogs, so some dogs find it confusing and a bit 'upsetting' - your dog is choosing to maintain a bit of distance , and that is okay.
I have introduced a few puppies to my adult dogs, and found that at first they are a bit 'put off'/avoiding but it doesn't take them long, once the puppy grows a bit, to figure out they have a new buddy and they get along fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chances are good they will be just fine.

It is likely that your older dog does not (yet) view the puppy as a 'dog' - he is not quite sure what that furry thing is. (Has he ever been around a puppy before?) Puppies don't behave like adult dogs, they don't have the social skills yet (the best teacher of dog to dog social skills in an adult dog who does have solid appropriate skills) or mature dogs, so some dogs find it confusing and a bit 'upsetting' - your dog is choosing to maintain a bit of distance , and that is okay.
I have introduced a few puppies to my adult dogs, and found that at first they are a bit 'put off'/avoiding but it doesn't take them long, once the puppy grows a bit, to figure out they have a new buddy and they get along fine.
Whenever he would pass dogs in the park or on walks he would walk up to dogs tail wagging and all. He never played with another dog and has only been around a small dog (Yorkie) a couple of time in the same space. But also wasn’t a puppy but adult yorkie. I would say he is just slightly getting closer to him. Again the major thing I don’t want happening is them not getting along especially if I’ll have to leave them alone. That’s why I want as much help in deciding what’s best. I have reached out to the breeder explaining the situation and seeing what they will say. I don’t want to cause excessive stress for either dog.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm following because we are bringing a second puppy home in 2.5 weeks as well. I'm a bit apprehensive about how it will go. But we did this 17 years ago (bringing a new puppy home to our adult dog) and I remember my 1.5YO male acted the same in the beginning. The female puppy would try to cuddle with him (when he was resting on the floor) and he would get up and move every time. With time they became great friends..... playing, chasing squirels together.

Getting up and leaving is dog language for "I don't want to engage in this moment". And that's ok. Just keep trying to involve your adult dog (give him attention too).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm following because we are bringing a second puppy home in 2.5 weeks as well. I'm a bit apprehensive about how it will go. But we did this 17 years ago (bringing a new puppy home to our adult dog) and I remember my 1.5YO male acted the same in the beginning. The female puppy would try to cuddle with him (when he was resting on the floor) and he would get up and move every time. With time they became great friends..... playing, chasing squirels together.

Getting up and leaving is dog language for "I don't want to engage in this moment". And that's ok. Just keep trying to involve your adult dog (give him attention too).
The puppy tried to go right up to my dogs face for like 2 seconds before he got up and moved away, no growling or aggressiveness. But now instead of running upstairs where the puppy doesn’t go he just ran around. Before this they were able to lay 3-4ft of each other for a minute before the puppy wanted to play. My dogs routine hasn’t changed when it comes to playing and eating (other thank moving his food upstairs). Like others said it might be because he’s never seem or been near a small puppy.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Maybe he's trying to play with the puppy by running around? I think getting right into his face was normal for the puppy but your adult dog was like "what is this furball doing?"

I'm not there, but it sounds like they are working it out. I will do the same but as long as your adult dog can get away when he wants and has a safe puppy free place to chill, he will be fine. If puppy starts getting to much in the adult dog's face, I would distract puppy away and intervene, but it sounds like your dog is handling it atm.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It sounds like things are going ok for the moment. You might want to set up a crate or exercise pen inside for the puppy and enforce nap times for all. That way your GSD can get some puppy free relaxation time.

When I brought my most recent puppies home the resident adult dogs took refuge on the sofa, which the puppies were still too small to crawl onto. One of my adults even moved all his favorite toys up onto the safety of the sofa too. Eventually the adults started playing with the puppies and consenting to cuddle with them when the family settled down to watch TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi so wanted to ask a question to everyone. Will the puppy get used to use and the home after less than a week? Considering that my dog still runs away and it’s a bit hard on me, I have talked to the breeder and they said to give it a few days but said they are willing take the puppy back. I know that with time there may be an improvement but they could also just never become best friends and they longer I have him to let them get used to each other the harder it’s becoming on everyone in the house. But if they never become friends and just learn to tolerate each other then I feel as though that’s an outcome we don’t want. Basically my question is, will the puppy be affected in any way if we bring him back to the breeder? I believe they still have his sister there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The general rule of thumb for bringing a dog home is 3 days to de-stress, 3 weeks to become familiar with the household's routines, and 3 months to settle in fully. It's not unreasonable to expect a similar adjustment period for your adult dog to the presence of a new member of the household. In your shoes, I wouldn't give up on them becoming friends yet - but if you do choose to return the puppy, it's also unlikely to do them any harm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The general rule of thumb for bringing a dog home is 3 days to de-stress, 3 weeks to become familiar with the household's routines, and 3 months to settle in fully. It's not unreasonable to expect a similar adjustment period for your adult dog to the presence of a new member of the household. In your shoes, I wouldn't give up on them becoming friends yet - but if you do choose to return the puppy, it's also unlikely to do them any harm.
I’m just trying to look differently at my dog, all the time he’s been the only dog in the house. Whenever I would go to the park he’d only play with me. And when he was even a puppy he wasn’t fully socialize and even now has times to pull to everything if I bring him to the store. He’s just so used to doing what he wants, part of it may be overall training by everyone in the house, he just does what he wants in a way, that’s what’s making me think that even if he begins to tolerate him it won’t be on a best friend level. I tried to take both into the yard on leashes and my dog would try and walk as far away and even if he’d come up to him to sniff him he’d just turn away. It’s a really tough decision, on the one hand they might actually be friendly, but that’s maybe. If I wait and they don’t then there’s no going back once the puppy will be here a couple of weeks. Also reading up on others if it’s the other breed around then it’s different but my gsd is less calm and friendly and the golden just wants to play constantly, even when adults they seem to be like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts