Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a treeing walker coonhound that just turned 1. We are adding a new walker puppy in two weeks! Our current dog has always been good with other dogs, even ones that have come and stayed at our house while "dog sitting"
Is this a good sign that he will be fine with a new puppy?
Any tips to make this transition better?
Since our dog can jump baby gates would it work to keep the puppy confined to a room for awhile where our older dog can come and go as he pleases?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Socialized dogs are great! If your 1-year-old is used to being around others, it's usually really easy. I think the dog will be fine with the new puppy and will accept the new addition in time. Separate the pup from the older dog until the new pup grows a little but let them spend as much time together supervised, right away, so they can play and get used to each other. My Forrest was 4-months -old when Bubba was born. I waited 2 months later for them to meet, since Bubba had to breastfeed but they've became friends right away and been inseparable ever since. I let Forrest give Bubba affection.. making sure he wouldn't be to rough with him of course. I had to put Bubba in a little crate at night or when I had to leave the house until he was big enough to really play with Forrest. Time passed, now they're like brothers! Enjoy! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts