Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I recently learned that our dog has some food intolerances, and were recommended to switch him to a limited ingredient dog food. We found a good brand with excellent reviews, so are in the process of switching to that. We know that new food should be introduced gradually, and have been mixing a little of the new kibble in with his old kibble. However, our sneaky little guy LOVES the new food (which is great!) but has started picking out all the new kibbles, leaving behind the old ones.. which completely defeats the purpose of introducing it gradually. Will this have a super negative impact? The only thing I've heard is that it can cause diarrhea, which is what the old kibble was doing anyways (hence the big switch). Will he tummy adjust to just a straight switch?

Side note: We were also told mixing in pumpkin can help with the switch. We tried that, and he took one bite and looked at me like "why are you feeding me this yucky orange stuff?" Who knew dogs could be so particular! ;)

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If he is picking it out then just switch to the new food. Especially if the old food was causing stomach upset. The reason for transitioning is to prevent stomach issues.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Some dogs can get gastric issues, others don't. If he's not having any issues, do the switch.

When we chased allergies, switching up food wasn't uncommon. We just switched.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honestly? It's not all that crucial. While there can be some gastro issues when switching to a dramatically different food, when you switch from kibble to kibble, it really is just training your dog to like, and get used to the new food, with the least amount of anxiety possible. If your dog already likes the new food, then just dump the old bag, and start with the new, 100%.

Just be sure that he doesn't like it too much, and that he's not eating too quickly. Dogs can be pretty enthusiastic when eating foods they love, and from what I hear, if they don't relax a bit, they might have problems swallowing too quickly.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Really depends on the dog. My dog has guts of steel, I basically change the food every bag and, so long as there aren't any ingredients she has issues with, she's good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts