Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

I think I already know the answer to this problem but I just wanted to see if anyone else has any better ideas/suggestions.

I recently introduced Mia to frisbees, I thought to change it up a little bit from tennis balls since she likes to chew them and she breaks them really easily. (I've lost too many chuck-it balls that it was literally like I was throwing away money)

I don't know if it's just cuz it's new but she always wants to destroy it or play tug with it. She thrashes her head around and then dances in circles around me with it in her mouth. (It's the cutest thing to watch, but VERY ANNOYING when I'm trying to get it back from her).

I can't remember how I trained her to fetch tennis balls, I guess the treats I'm using with her frisbee isn't high value enough I might have to use pieces of steak.

I'll ask her to bring me the frisbee and when she does pick it up and run to me, she runs past me and drops it. It's just a game to her and I will not chase her.

Is that all I need to do? Use super high value treats, more valuable than the frisbee and "trade" for the frisbee?

If I throw it she loves to chase it and she's been trying to catch it midair. But it's when she catches it, she has more fun running around with it in her mouth or thrashing it around/chewing it.

Balls on the other hand, she will fetch for hours and has no problem retrieving it and dropping the ball at my feet.

Thought I'd show you her proud face after killing her first frisbee. We went to PetSmart to get a different one, hopefully the second one will last longer than a week!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
I saw this on IG, was going to respond and then forgot haha.

Playing tug with the disc is good- it builds drive! But she definitely needs a solid "out"... Aspen LOVES discs and hates to give them up. So I want her to "out" it but not make her sad and kill her drive. When we're playing disc, I always carry 4-5 with me so I can trade with her. Once she outs, I toss another one.

You need MUCH tougher discs. Try some Jawz discs... you can get them on Amazon. Read some reviews and pick one that seems suitable. If you're on FB, there's a group called "Disc Dog Discussion" and they can probably give you really good advice on which discs to choose.

ETA: You can also carry a tug with you and trade the tug for the disc if she likes tugging. But I would still use a better disc.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Aspen726!! Yeah...I don't know why I thought she wouldn't want to chew the frisbee so I thought I could start with a soft/cloth "beginner" one. She ripped it on the first day! lol

The second one we got is mostly rubber but I'm definitely going to check out the one you suggested and read some reviews. Multiple discs is a good idea, I use two balls when I play fetch with Mia.

Thanks for all the suggestions, that fb group sounds like a good place to check out too!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I personally started with rope toys and tug as my dog is a tug fiend. Once he was able to reliably fetch and return a tug toy to my hand on cue (e.g "let go"), I added a fabric frisbee to the mix and some light tugging with it as a reward for retrieving. Once he got the hang of chasing the fabric stuff, I introduced him to real plastic discs and phased out the tugging slowly. I compensated by adding more discs to the so that the reward was getting another disc to chase.

Totally second the Hyperflite Jawz recommendation by Aspen. I used those discs exclusively for almost 6 mo while my dog thought discs were fun tug toys and they held up to the abuse. They are way more expensive than the PetSmart ones but they last a lot longer in my experience. The trick is to not let them use it as a chew toy. If they start chewing on it, redirect as quickly as possible to a more appropriate outlet (e.g. rope tug toy).

Have fun!!

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts