Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple moved in down the road about a month ago with their three pitmix girls, and they've expressed interest in bringing our two dogs down to their (very nicely fenced in) yard for a playdate. Mostly for our own pit, who has higher energy/play needs than Shadow, who is slowing down and mellow.

I'm okay with this, the dogs are friendly if incredibly untrained in the 'jumping on people' way, but while I've introduced single dogs to single dogs, I've never introduced two dogs to three dogs.

They have an inner fence and an outer fence to possibly allow introing them one at a time, but I am worried about barrier aggression. How is this best handled?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I experience this a lot, working at a daycare we're always having to introduce a dog to groups of almost 10 dogs somedays. We bring the new dog outside ((while on a leash)) and go and get one dog at a time on a leash and let them meet. Some get along, some don't. If a fight starts, we "wheelbarrow" the dogs to break it up, then separate them.
I definitely suggest neutral ground and doing one at a time. If he doesn't get along with one dog, then you could either VERY securely monitor every movement((which I doubt you'd wanna do)) or just separate her from them. They'll probably be fine if all they wanna do is play though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The owner of the three girls are willing to keep any of them indoors while ours play with the one(s) they do get along with at least. How far away do you need to be for neutral territory?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The pits are probably used to the fenced in area enough for it to be "their territory" so unless they've been in the outer area of fence a lot, then that should do. If nothing else, just taking them to a usually empty dog park or any park will work. Females are usually more protective of the human, whereas males are more protective of the territory so since their girls, you've gotta watch out for that if they feel their human's in danger, it won't matter much where they are. Sometimes it helps if the owners hold each other's dogs.

Anyway just to clear up the answer to your question, I'm thinkin a lil distance from the outer fence will work. I doubt you'll have any problems, they'll hopefully just wanna play.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The thing I'd watch out for in "sibling" dogs (dogs in the same household) is two or three of their dogs ganging up on yours or your two ganging up on theirs. It's pretty common, not only in fighting, but also in playing. Ideally you'll want them pairing off to play rather than a 2-on-1. If two dogs are playing and there's another one third wheeling and trying to butt in redirect the third dog or pull her aside for a time out.

Something to consider with on leash greetings is that dogs can feel tension through the leash and that will make them feel more tense. They also feel more vulnerable on lead (which is where leash reactivity stems from). I personally wouldn't use a leash unless you were actively walking them/working with them on lead or if you were letting it drag so you can catch them more easily. I'd opt for an off leash one at a time intro with each dog and then slowly build the group up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about everyone going on a walk together before they're let loose int he same place? Would that give them time to smell, get used to the sight of each other, etc? I don't think Shadow's going to be too interested in playing, she's more the loaf around and watch sort, and I think they have an older female too. I don't think we need all five out at the same time. :|a

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yea that's a good way too, walking them before letting them loose. It also gets a little of their energy out so they're not so playful that the other dog gets annoyed and takes it the wrong way.
I honestly don't think yall will have any problems, just remember to make sure if they fight over any toys or anything, then take it away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts