Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, Molly (G. Shepherd) met a friend of mine when I took him out back to see her. Right away she began barking at him and running away, which she normally doesn't do with new people. Eventually I gave my friend Molly's favorite ball and told him to offer it to her and after about 10 min of playing catch she was okay with him and could comfortable be near him. :thumbsup:

My question is, am I approaching this correctly? How can I discourage this behavior with new people? I don't want this to carry onto adulthood because German Shepherds are big dogs and I don't want her to hurt anyone.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
You did the right thing. Make meeting new people a positive thing. Now she will associate that friend with the fun of playing catch. As well as bringing the dog outside instead of having the friend come in the house.

I also recommend taking the dog for a walk with the person. Since German Sheperds tend to be territorial sometimes it helps to take them out of their territory so they don't feel they have to protect anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Most of the people she has met have been outside the house that's why I was surprised when she was aggressive towards my friend but it makes sense that she would just be trying to protect her territory.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
My half shepherd does that as well with new people sometimes. I just give them a carrot cut in pieces or a tug toy or something and she does a complete 180 in no time at all.

The more people you can introduce her to in a safe way, the better. Make sure you give them toys or treats that are appropriate for her and that don't get her overstimulated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.