Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been playing with the idea of getting a second dog. We had one for a while, but she was very nervous and suffered from Separation/Isolation Anxiety. That spun out into getting in a fight with our resident dog (2 year old male Pit/Bull Terrier).

He isn't a fan of the Humane Society any more because he has a lot of bad associations with it-he was there for a while before we adopted him and we got our second dog from there-and we are always there for a long time when we bring him (because we need to wait for the desired dog to be available and an area for an introduction).

We tried Craiglist and met with one dog. Also a bully breed. That went South too (levels of excitement I think just escalated and became defensive).

We are wondering if the fight he got into hurt him for future dog friends. Are there ways to help this? Should we entertain getting a second dog, I'd just like to know how to optimally prepare him.

He currently gets along with two dogs: our neighbor's chihuahua and my mother-in-law's german shepard. Where he is in the middle of the size spectrum, they are on opposite ends. He met both prior to his fight.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Pit Bulls can often be dog aggressive, and if you do decide to get another dog you should be prepared to always keep them separate when you are not there to supervise.

How is your boy acting towards other dogs he meets? Is he standoffish, curious, friendly, or aggressive? If he's showing aggressive then you might have a true up hill battle trying to find a dog that he gets along with. You may be able to find one, since some PB can be dog selective and while they don't like the majority of dogs they do get along with a few dogs, BUT some have an avowed hatred of all dogs. If he's standoffish it'll be easier, but he'll likely prefer to not have a housemate.

Whether the fight he was in affected him is hit or miss, after a fight some dogs do develop a fear of other dogs, but some are able to blow it off and carry on as if nothing ever happened.

It may help to get him a female companion rather then another male. Some dogs get along better with dogs of the opposite sex, others couldn't care less about that.

To prepare him to meet a potential dog companion try having him have play dates with other dogs that are friendly and non aggressive. Exercise him a little before taking him to meet a dog you are interested in adopting, you don't want him exhausted, or tired, but have the edge taken off his energy so he's more calm. Walk the dogs a bit together before letting them greet, and only let them greet if both seem to want to.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he was curious and wanting to be friendly. During this last intro he whined constantly and pulled the entire time, trying to go up the other dog. I don't remember how instant it was or if this was escalation, but they eventually got up on their hind legs to meet each other. To me, it looked like pure excitement from him. She was open to meeting. My feeling is that she felt threatened by his overzealousness and things turned.

The dog he got in a fight with was a female I think 6 months older than him. A beagle/coonhound mix. Right about his size even. On their initial intro I had never seen two dogs get along so well. Chasing and wrestling in complete silence. Her anxiety eventually made her want our attention more than she wanted his (and she didn't take to the crate very well, either). On a recent walk outside our neighborhood, we passed a Beagle in a yard and he pretty much ignored it (I think because it looked liked his aggressor). I take him for a run around the neighborhood most days and there are 10-15 dogs in yards that he has always gone bonkers over. Dogs he has met before the companion seem fine. Like they imprinted on him. Two dogs since haven't been very positive.

Should there be a next time, I will make an effort to tire him out before hand. I think our biggest problem though is not knowing many other dogs. He has energy levels that would be very beneficial with another dog, but sometimes I wonder if they are actually too high. In theory, I see the benefit of a dog park, but in reality I think it would be a disaster. He would pull and whine and to me a dog park is meant to be a fun, leashless experience where you can play Frisbee and they can run. He's not ready for that open world yet and as a Pit mix, we all know where things COULD go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts