Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a stray in my neighborhood (approx. 1 yr old male pit mix.) He was friendly and approached me willingly. After an initial introduction with my current dog, a 5 yr old female pit mix, and a vet visit, I decided to bring the new guy home for good.

Everything was going well for the first few days. No fights, some rough playing, but no baring of teeth, growling, etc. that I would describe as at all aggressive. The two shared common spaces well and alternately ate from each others food & water bowls throughout the day. They each have their own crates for times when no one is home.

Now a little more than a week in, I'm seeing serious aggressive behavior between them, especially in regards to food. I have started feeding them each separately, twice daily, and leaving no food out during the day. Treats are hand-fed for praise but I haven't given either bones/chews etc. But the behavior is getting worse instead of better. My current dog has never shown food aggression before (she begs here and there but does not guard or become aggressive) but I have also never had her part of a multi-dog household before.

The new pup is adjusting, which I know will take time especially as a stray. He has shown no aggression toward me but still occasionally cowers at sounds, new people or someone standing over him; he has snapped once (unfortunately at a child) who approached him too quickly. He 'dens' under my bed and has picked up quickly on basic manners (sit & going outside.) Food, however, has been the biggest trigger in his behavior as well.

Today, after I had emptied some leftovers into the trashcan, the two both went over to take a sniff and it turned into a full on fight with me standing right there. I couldn't get a hold on either of them, but a loud 'NO' and a foot stomp caught their attention long enough for me to break them up.

I'm really hoping for some tips on how to 1) curb the food-aggressive behaviors I'm seeing and 2) alleviate both dogs' anxieties about this change in dynamics. I know time is a big factor but anything I can do to help it along, I'm willing to try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this problem when I brought home my puppy to my 8 year old dog. She's extremely food aggressive so I always feed them separate and never give them table scraps with both of them in the room. The pup eventually learned she was the dominant one in the house and now steers clear. They've gotten a whole lot better but he's now six months so it took awhile. I always just kept them separate when I wasn't able to supervise. And definite scolding when my older dog would go after him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts