Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm new and the main reason I joined this thread is to ask some pet travel related questions. I'm from South East Asia and own a doxie who is 2 years of age and female. I might be moving to the US soon give or take within 6 -12 months. I have tried doing some Googling, phoned vets and asked airlines but each one gives me different requirements to traveling or moving with your pet. Can anyone help? Has anyone moved from one continent to the other with their pets? Any info is appreciated as I am anxious to move without my dog.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, I moved from the USA to the UK last year. You would need to contact the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for their requirements. Good luck and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I moved from the USA to the UK last year. You would need to contact the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for their requirements. Good luck and please keep us updated.

thank you for the information, I will definitely do that.
may I know how old your dog was or what state you came from? Was there a difference in climate from where you had previously lived to your current residence?

A vet told me she would not advise moving with my dog since she is over a year old and may not adapt to the climate etc. Would be helpful if you could tell me if you were advised similarly? I understand how some would say this considering seasonal changes but I am coming from a tropical country and would be moving to Nevada where my family resides. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hi,

I don't know about moving from one continent to another, but in my opinion, dogs will always adopt to what ever the envirment changes into.

I met a couple here who used to live in texas and they moved here with their black lab who was about 7 or 8 years old. Their dog adopted well from going to a hot place to a cooler place and even colder in winter. That leads me to believe that any dog, no matter what age, can always adopt to the changes.

My own older sister who owns the overweight puggle she rescued from Boise, Idaho and when she moved down she brought her with them and she had adopted easily. She is well over 10 years old. (The people at the rescue had told them she was about over 7 when they got her.) My older sister lives up the hill from our house and her dog walks down the side of the road and walks to our house. (She's kind of like our second dog that is always welcome here and she knows it.) Sometimes she will do this when it is well below 0 in the winter time. (This usually happens when my older sister and her family are running late and they forget to put her back inside the house after she releives herself.)

So, I think you need not worry too much about adoptation to the climate change. But who knows, maybe others here who have actually been through it will have a better answer for you.

Welcome and please stick around after you gathered your answers. We are all warming and welcoming.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, Billy was 5 when we moved. He had lived in So.Cal his whole life. We were in a very hot, dry climate. We moved back to the UK when it can be hot, cold, wet & dry, snow etc, etc. Dogs adapt - Billy is not keen on the rain, but he has no choice. I think you dog will do just fine. I'm sure he would rather be with you than not!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot for the response, I am quite relieved to read both your comments. my doxie has been my constant companion and I could not bear the thought of leaving her behind. I had been trying to explain to this vet that leaving her might stress her out more than the health risk or travel anxiety she claimed dogs would encounter. I'm not ruling that possibility out completely however I think it's more of a case to case basis. Compared to her insistence that it is a general issue with traveling with dogs.

anyway thanks again. will go check out USDA :D

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
I think your doxie will adjust just fine! I have lived in several different climates and my dogs have always adjusted.
And even here in PA we have all sorts of weather (hot, cold, warm, chilly, rain, dry, sunshine, snow, sleet, hail, ice, ect).
My dogs always do fine despite the ever changing seasons and weather conditions!

In addition to checking with the Department of Agriculture, like Boxlove recommended, also check with the airline you choose to be sure you have a proper carrier and meet their other requirements!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.