Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female, 9-year-old Rat Terrier, Frankie. She's been my baby since we got her as a puppy. She's high-strung and prefers to be with us than with other dogs. We now have a female, 11-week-old bulldog/pug puppy, Lily. We introduced them on neutral ground and made sure that Frankie got fed first, got treats first, got pets first and was the first out the door for walks.

Frankie has done better than I thought she would. And I've praised her when she tolerates the puppy nonsense. We remove Lily asap to stop her from pouncing on, and otherwise annoying, Frankie when things get too excited. And we reprimand Frankie when she goes after Lily with a snarl or snap.

That seems to work for the most part, but we were on a walk yesterday and Frankie saw a neighbor's dog. She barked and barked at it and when Lily ran up to her to see what all the fun was about, she turned and tried to bite her. She was really mean. Then when I tried to get control of her, she tried to bite me too. Lily didn't really think anything of it, but it really bothered me. It wasn't her usual barking at another dog, it was vicious.

Frankie has been on edge and very alert, watching Lily all the time. I want to make her feel more comfortable again.
I know this may just be dog behavior, but I wanted to get any advice at all that will make the transition to a 2-dog household go more smoothly.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
How long have the two dogs been together?

My mom fosters dogs a lot, and some of them new a few weeks to settle in with her dogs. She also helps her dogs adjust to fosters by walking them separately then together, and giving each dog separate training time. The exercise and mental stimulation tires them out, with the added bonus that each dog gets some one-on-one attention.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts