Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having just got our first ever dog 3 months back, I have become obsessed with her/dogs in general. Also the kind of curious person i found this entirely unknown lovely world of dogs, I am now reading non stop or watching videos of dog training, tips... Also getting a little possessive of the dog. Is this normal :) for other first time owners. Wondering when this wears off and if other people went through this period

On a related side, my dog is probably loving all the attention but also frustrates me, and I have to consciously walk away when I am feeling irritated. She is a 6 year old skittish rescue dog (we got her after 2.5 years in shelter), so i know i need to give her time to settle in (this forum had great advice for me) but though she is super people friendly, she is scared of all new things, toys, new tricks etc. So for now, while I am being patient and not pushing her, I wish she would grow a little more confident!

Like i said, this post is on me not the dog:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always liked dogs, but when I got my first pup 6 months ago I became OBSESSED (and that obsession hasn't gone away haha). I spend alot of my money and time on my little boy and it almost feels like a hobby. Anyways, if anything, I think it's a good thing you're so invested in your dog - I bet she's in good hands!! With training, just remember the key is patience and consistency. Sometimes it feels like I'm going nowhere with training but I always tell myself two steps forward and one step back.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think that whenever you invest time and money into things, it becomes interesting to you. For instance, when I purchased a used Saab (it was cheap), I became very interested in the history of the company and the car. (Facinating btw).

I hate the term "obsession" and I think it should be best left to clinical situations. Being interested in something you are investing time, money and energy in isn't an "obsession" it's a result of a change of values from something to another thing.

Bonding with a dog is like bonding with any other living thing. I love fruit and happened to buy a property with some fruit trees. My landlord had some so I knew a bit about caring for them but not alot. It took me a while to warm up to how to care for them and while I enjoyed the fruit, I have to say there was some "is this really worth it" because of the effort.

I believe in recovery taking atleast half the time that trauma occurred, so for a dog who was in a shelter for 2.5 years, I'd expect many things to be trying for just over a year.

Sometimes, however, a dog just dosn't get over their roots. My dog was a rescue from NYC. I don't think she saw more than a small patch of grass until she was 2. While she has learned to love to swim and nap outside during the day, heaven forbid I go camping with her. She will literally sneak back into the tent as soon as nightfall comes, and wants a cushy bed to sleep on. Mind you, she's not a little dog--she's a 45lbs part German Shepard...but she still seeks out indoors and dislikes the dark outdoors (except maybe during the full moon).

Anyway, as long as this doesn't become an actual, clinical obsession with you dropping work and family and not buying yourself food, you're good. It's part of the learning curve of owning anything living.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I...have to admit that we often run out of food, coffee, toilet paper... But the pup is always fully stocked. I think we have a problem :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts