Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm a new member to the forum. i've been a dog owner my whole life, but never really got into forums until recently and they've proven their worth. I have a salt water fish tank at home and rely on forums for a lot of questions and problems i come across in the hobby. I figured a dog forum couldn't hurt. So i'll start with this. recently, i started fostering a wonderful pit from the philly spca. her name is angel and she's a fantastic dog. my roommate has a german shepherd that is crate trained and i've come to realize it really is one of the best things you can do for a dog. so i've decided to crate train angel. she's taken to it pretty well, but the only thing i'm concerned about is water. every time i put a dish in there it just ends up getting knocked over, even thought there's plenty of room for her to move without hitting it. so i decided to try a "no drip" water bottle with one of those roller ball tips. well, turns out the "no drip" terminology is used VERY loosely, as it drips about two drops per second. woke up this morning and the poor pooch was snorkeling. so i've decided to ask around and see if anybody had any other solutions.

with my saltwater forum, there is a section for DIY where people post projects or ideas of their own or modifications they've done to on the market equipment to make them more effective. I was surprised that this site didn't have anything like that, unless of course i'm missing it. I was thinking of taking the water bottle apart and putting in a spring to hold the ball in place. the other thing i was thinking of doing was some sort of pvc setup. any ideas would be welcome. I'm just looking for a way to keep the water accessible, but as...unspillable (is that even a real word?!?!) as possible...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have no solution for that, but I know you can buy a bowl that attaches to the side of the crate getting off the floor of the crate.

Welcome to the forum!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping to get it off the bottom of the kennel. She's a 50 lb dog in one of those 60-90 lb crates, but she LOVES to sprawl out so I'm trying to leave her as much room as possible.

Is there a DIY forum I'm missing? I would think people would have all kinds of projects they'd like to show off. If not, how can I go about getting one started? I alone have probably four posts I could show off with little projects of mine. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Usually if someone makes something it goes into the Dog Art section (arts and crafts).

Also, is there a reason you need to have water in with her? It's a nice idea, but doesn't really work in practice. We've never put water in while our guy was crated at home. I don't know any people that do. The dog just drinks before going in and after coming out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the problem with that and what started all this in the first place is that she drinks A TON of water and if she doesn't have it readily accessible, she drinks until she pukes. so when she gets out in the morning, she drinks a ton, then pukes half of it up. so i started metering how much she drank by only giving her about a half cup at a time, but she was insatiable. Then by the time she was done, she'd puke anyway. so i tried only giving her limited amounts of water, but then I started to worry she wasn't receiving enough. She's fine when she has regular access to water. She never over drinks. Only when she's been without it for several hours. So i figured as long as i can give her constant access to a water source, she'll never have this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Gotcha!

What about trying ice cubes? They'll melt slowly for less mess and she'll still get the water she needs.

Reactions: Megs87

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
If she's drinking that much have you had her checked out by a vet? She could have some sort of kidney disease or diabetes. It could be nothing more then where ever she came from she didn't have regular access to water and so she feels the need to drink as much as possible when she does, but it's best to rule out medical.

Shadow occasionally decides to imitate a camel at a water hole and when he does I simply interrupt him, I'll call his name or something like that, and once he stops drinking he rarely goes back right away

I'd either leave the water out of the crate, or get one of the bowls that fasten to the door of the crate and figure out a way to make it extra secure. I just don't trust those water bottles not to fail in some way.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Guinness is a big time drinker (no pun intended) she likes to have water in the crate because I leave her with a frozen kong while I'm gone. But she's super sloppy and clumsy and has thrown her water all over which is a pain. I got her the bowl that attaches to the crate and it gives her room to lay down and do whatever.

·
Banned
711 Posts
This may or may not be helpful, but those hamster style water bottles will leak if the water is too cold because the little metal ball will shrink ever so slightly. If you put lukewarm water in it, it shouldn't leak. I had to start doing that with my rats' bottle because I was having the same problem.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
This may or may not be helpful, but those hamster style water bottles will leak if the water is too cold because the little metal ball will shrink ever so slightly. If you put lukewarm water in it, it shouldn't leak. I had to start doing that with my rats' bottle because I was having the same problem.
Thanks for that tip, I used to have that problem all the time. I now only have one rat, so I bought this one that never leaks:

Petco Flip Top Water Bottle for Small Animals at PETCO

All the reviews on it say their animals couldn't figure it out lol, but all I've ever had to do was show them that water came from it a few times, and they figure it out.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I would agree to take her to the vet and get her checked out. The excessive drinking to the point of vomiting doesn't sound normal. It sounds like there might be something wrong.

I would get a bowel that can attach to the front of the cage. Or try a small animal water bottle again, but make sure there's a rubber washer in the top before you buy it. I use these allll the time with my rats and I've only had them drip when the washer falls out or when shavings get stuck in the tube. When I need to buy new ones, I always have to unscrew the top and check to make sure the washer is there. Sometimes they get lost or people take them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she's been checked out. i had already thought of this because i used to have a malamute that had lower than normal thyroid levels and it caused the drinking, according to the vet. But i had originally thought that was diabetes. Like i said, she only does this when she's been without water for a long time, aka 8 hour night sleep. she'll go a whole afternoon/evening and only stop by the water bowl once or twice, which is why i think this happens. She's used to having access to water all the time, so she doesn't drink before she goes into the kennel. AKA 8 hours in the kennel plus four hours since her last drink before the kennel turns into 12 hours without water. I'd be thirsty too. i like the ice cube idea though. i'm gunna try the luke warm water idea and see if that works with that bottle. i also like those hanging bowls. wish i'd found them before ordering the bottle i did. Paid roughly the same amount. *sigh*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts