Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a dog that has 3 legs. He was hit by a car and we had to amputate a leg. Hes been with 3 legs for about 10 years now. He is 12 yrs old himself. He seems to be in pain at times, or just tired? When its cold he cant really go for a walk he will just sit there. I wanted to know if there are good vitamins, or medication that will help him? pain relievers? not sure

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum..
I started taking Turmeric after reading on here that it helps dogs with Pano. It helps with my back pain. I would check with a holistic vet for the proper amount for a dog (mg per pound). It says it is also good for arthritis.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi, i have a dog that has 3 legs. He was hit by a car and we had to amputate a leg. Hes been with 3 legs for about 10 years now. He is 12 yrs old himself. He seems to be in pain at times, or just tired? When its cold he cant really go for a walk he will just sit there. I wanted to know if there are good vitamins, or medication that will help him? pain relievers? not sure
glucosamine/chondroitin is the best. I have seen it work wonders on dogs with arthritis. Its natural and works very well n my hound. I get mine at Trader Joes in the dog section its chewable. I would start with 1500 mgs morning and night. If after a month you dont see a difference add another 500 morning and night. Some times it takes a little more at first. Its natural so you dont have to worry about them getting to much.
Glucosamine Joint Pain Relief for Dogs - VetInfo

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I don't know anything about Turmeric but will do some investigating LynneMarie, as for the Glucosamine/Chondroitin, that Dawben suggested has extended two GSD's lives and hasn't done a bad job on this old warriors paws and knees either :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
My older dog is on Merrick grain free food and she's almost 10. She looks amazing these days and is a lot more active because it contains both glucosamine and condroiton.
My husky puppy is super active these days and to avoid joint issues I just ordered her Finish Line Fluid Action Powder. It lasts forever because even though it was made for horses, it's also good for dogs too. I've read so many reviews about this product and apparently it's changed peoples minds about putting their dogs asleep due to joint issues.
If you want it, you can buy it here
Finish Line Fluid Action Powder
And use the promo code: Shop10 to get a discount, so pretty much you don't pay for shipping with the code.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Definitely check out a glucosamine supplement. If that doesn't help, or help enough, talk to your vet about it. There are pain management options that can help your dog, so there's no reason to let him suffer.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Hi! Our lab mix was on Rimadyl and it was wonderful. You could see the relief in her eyes and she became almost puppylike at age 13. RIP Beta, we love you.

Why Use RIMADYL?

RIMADYL is the #1 NSAID for canine pain relief.1

The #1 reason to use RIMADYL is that RIMADYL is the #1 prescribed NSAID for canine pain. Your veterinarian may prescribe RIMADYL if your dog has surgery, or experiences pain from arthritis. It's no fun watching your best friend in discomfort. So talk to your veterinarian about the game plan for managing any potential pain. Today we know more about managing pain than ever before. We can even recognize the signs of arthritis when a dog is experiencing discomfort. Most importantly, we now have advanced medicines and procedures to manage the pain so your dog doesn't have to suffer.

Please click the Aspirin is Not the Best Medicine and Insist on RIMADYL articles to learn more about RIMADYL and how it can help relieve the pain associated with your dog's arthritis.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with everyone that mentioned glucosamine/condrointin supplements. They protect the existing cartilage and do not lose efficacy over time, meaning it is never too early to start them. Give them at least a month to take affect before jumping to NSAIDs. Rimadyl is a great medication if you NEED it, but I'd hold out as long as possible. If your boy is 12 I'd be worried about liver issues using Rimadyl.
I had a foster that had a 22 cal bullet in his from left should, inoperable. It was a new-ish injury so we wanted to see if we could manage his pain until enough scar tissue could form to heal the wound properly. At that point we re-evaluated his pain before making an amputation decision. I'm glad to say he has all his legs to this day. We started him on lots of pain management medications, but once he was able to ween off of them his new owners have kept him on the glucosamine, as well as NUPRO joint supplement. Even though he is only four the wound left extensive arthritis in that joint, which for the time being is managed with only supplements.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get some radiographs to see if there is any arthritis developing. And work out a pain management plan with you vet if there is.
Best of luck! You are doing something right with a 12 yr old :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts