Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6month old Brittany boy was eating Native (something like that) at the breeder and we slowly switched him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy during our first month with him. We've been feeding that ever since and my mom told me she had seen an article about how BB has been lying about ingredients and about recalls and how it's not worth the almost 60$/bag. Granted I have never had problems with it, but I've only been through 2 bags so far so I'm no expert. I would rather switch now than have problems in the future (I have about 2 weeks left of food).

I've been looking up some alternatives and I've narrowed it down, but I'm not sure which is the best choice. If any of you have any input on these following foods, please let me know!

Important factors for me:
-High energy dog so it must be high in protein
-Must be able to pick up rather than online (I have a Petsmart, Petco, and Tractor Supply near me)
-Must be grain-free as I'm told this will prevent skin and coat issues that Brittanys sometime have

Non-Issues:
-Cost
-Brand (I'm not partial to any of these, I just want the best for my pup)

1. Simply Nourish - Grain Free Puppy Food
2. Simply Nourish Source - Grain Free Puppy Food
3. Wellness Core Puppy Food
4. 4Health Puppy Formula
5. Merrick - Grain Free Puppy Recipe

These are in no particular order, just the order I had them up on my computer screen. Thank you in advance for your help! I'm new to this forum but I already feel welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
All of those brands are actually quite good I believe. The only one I might avoid would be Merrick. They've recently been purchased by Purina, so I'm concerned there could be a potential drop in quality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of those brands are actually quite good I believe. The only one I might avoid would be Merrick. They've recently been purchased by Purina, so I'm concerned there could be a potential drop in quality.
Okay, will do! Now should I just buy a bag and see what happens or buy the very small size bags of a few and see which he responds best to? I've never done this before! :ponder:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I recommend Go over those. Great ingredients high protein to grow a lean healthy pup
Puppy Food | Petcurean Grain Free Puppy Food

Unfortunately Go isn't available at Petco/petsmart or other 'chain' retailers. But I agree it is a good food, right up there with my love for Champion (acana, orijen)

For what's available to you I would go with Wellness first and 4 health second, only because it is a diamond product. You could also try taste of the wild if you can find it at tractor supply.

I ditto avoiding Merrick.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately Go isn't available at Petco/petsmart or other 'chain' retailers. But I agree it is a good food, right up there with my love for Champion (acana, orijen)

For what's available to you I would go with Wellness first and 4 health second, only because it is a diamond product. You could also try taste of the wild if you can find it at tractor supply.

I ditto avoiding Merrick.
I'm not sure what a diamond product is? Is that a manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Diamond company is both a producer of their own food and others, such as Kirkland, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Domain (costco), and 4Health. They were involved in a large recall in 2012 and I personally don't like their manufacturing processes. To me, feeding a diamond product is fine, but I'd be worried when the next recall comes down the line. If you feed a diamond product, be sure to sign up for a recall notice site.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My 6month old Brittany boy was eating Native (something like that) at the breeder and we slowly switched him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy during our first month with him. We've been feeding that ever since and my mom told me she had seen an article about how BB has been lying about ingredients and about recalls and how it's not worth the almost 60$/bag. Granted I have never had problems with it, but I've only been through 2 bags so far so I'm no expert. I would rather switch now than have problems in the future (I have about 2 weeks left of food).

I've been looking up some alternatives and I've narrowed it down, but I'm not sure which is the best choice. If any of you have any input on these following foods, please let me know!

Important factors for me:
-High energy dog so it must be high in protein
-Must be able to pick up rather than online (I have a Petsmart, Petco, and Tractor Supply near me)
-Must be grain-free as I'm told this will prevent skin and coat issues that Brittanys sometime have

Non-Issues:
-Cost
-Brand (I'm not partial to any of these, I just want the best for my pup)

1. Simply Nourish - Grain Free Puppy Food
2. Simply Nourish Source - Grain Free Puppy Food
3. Wellness Core Puppy Food
4. 4Health Puppy Formula
5. Merrick - Grain Free Puppy Recipe

These are in no particular order, just the order I had them up on my computer screen. Thank you in advance for your help! I'm new to this forum but I already feel welcome!

I think any of those foods would be fine ...
I feed my dogs Victor . It is a high quality all natural pet food . They are doing great on it . I have to buy mine online because it is not sold locally but there are several stores in NJ that sell it but not sure if they are close to you . Just an option for you if you want to check it out . The website has a store locator .
This is the formula I feed my dogs . Profesional Formula Victor Super Premium Dog Food

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
if you were to go with simply nourish id go with this one or the high protien duck one as higher protien then the rest if you indeed need high protien Simply Nourish® SOURCE Puppy Food - Grain Free, High Protein, Chicken & Turkey | Dry Food | PetSmart

otherwise id reccomend (i raw feed but i have fed dry in the past) Acana, addiction, GO, fromm( cant get where i live but would of love to try feed my charlie) maybe holistic select, heard zignature is a great one and they do muti protien one too i hear. That off top of my head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts