Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have what the people at the shelter calls a Carolina Dingo, she lost her companion about a year ago and now she has really been staying close to my wife and me. She (Freckles) is a wonderful companion for my wife and I and we have spent tons of time with her and love her as she was our daughter. Our problem is, we have booked and paid for a 10 day cruise and we are afraid since she is so close to us that for that long of a time even though we will have someone staying with her that will take care of her, she may have a severe separation issues. I would like to know if anyone can tell us how to make this ordeal easier on both Freckles and us, it is really bothering us badly.
I would appreciate any help at all.
Thanks
rron1229

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm sure there will be some seperation anxiety with your pup. Is there a doggy daycare and boarding facility around you? You could start bringing her to daycare first so she knows she's going there to have fun and then goes home to see you at the end of the day, which might make boarding easier for her.

If you have a in home pet sitter you could warn them and make sure she gets lots of exercise, physical and mental. She will be more tired and less likely to destroy something. Or could you bring her to someones house and they could watch her there?

It all depends on your situation. I hope you find something that works :) Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you are taking her everywhere you go... you should probably start leaving her alone for very short time periods. Depending upon how bad she reacts...you might even just have to start by making her stay in another room with you out of sight for a while....go back before she gets too wound up.

Don't make a big deal of leaving...and don't make a big deal of coming back...just go...no talking to her or anything...same coming back. Let there be a minute of just 'cool' down time, so the dog's excitement/anxiety doesn't hit high marks.

There are some good videos out there on how to do this, if this is the case with your dog. Some here might know of some specif trainers on the net how have YouTube videos of it. But it's a process...and takes time, and effort.

Back in the 1970's I had two dogs that had separation anxiety and I tried it with my dogs, not talking to them while I was getting ready to leave and when I walked out the door. Same in coming back. And after time it worked...my dogs stopped throwing fits when I left and in coming back I could get into the house with my sacks of groceries or whatever and not have two dogs falling all over themselves and me in an over excited state. It took, like I said time on my part...I started out just leaving them for like 2 or 3 minutes...walking out...waiting outside then going back in before they got too worked up...then extended that time.

Back then there were not a lot of dog training books, but I found that tip in some little obscure dog training book in my library. I don't know who wrote it but I thought their logic made sense and tried it. The author's point was the dogs are already excited and by talking to them, one just made it worse...so the whole idea was to make the whole process a calm one.

I hope your dog doesn't have any issues and you have a beautiful 10 day get away!

Stormy

Reactions: rron1229

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Our problem is, we have booked and paid for a 10 day cruise and we are afraid since she is so close to us that for that long of a time even though we will have someone staying with her that will take care of her, she may have a severe separation issues.

Get the person that will care for her while you are away to come and spend some time with her. You should leave for an hour each time and see how she does. As long as the person is loving the dog should be fine especially because she will be in her own home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Stormy, I will try that. I can leave her for a day but never overnight and she is fine but the 10 days is a different story. I guess I am just worried about her not eating and maybe getting angry at us but we felt the same way with our kids and they were fine.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts