Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday July 17th my 6 lb female yorkie poo named Lily started to have balance problems after waking up from a nap. I thought she was having a stroke so I rushed her to the vet.

The vet diagnosed her with an inner and outer ear infection. He did a swab of the outer ear and it was positive for yeast. He believes due to her balance problems that her inner ear is also infected so he gave her an antibiotic shot. The vet tech also cleaned her ears out Malacetic Otic Cleanser and put Tri Otic Ointment in both ears. The Tri Otic Ointment contains Gentamicin, Betamethasone and Clotrimazole.

The vet prescribed Amoxicillin every 12 hours, Tri Otic Ointment every 12 hours and an ear wash with the Malacetic Acid every 3 days.

When we got her home we noticed she had lost her hearing but believed due to the inner ear infection that we shouldn't be alarmed. However it has now been 4 days on the drugs and she still can't hear. I read last night that Gentamicin can cause deafness so I'm freaking out a little bit.

Is the hearing loss temporary or should we be concerned?

The weird thing about this she never scratched her ears or acted like she had an ear infection before and her ears don't stink.

If anyone knows of natural treatments for her ear infection I am open to alernative health treatments.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
Call the vet. Today. If the infection was bad enough to involve the entire ear, from inner ear to outer flap, it was bad enough to cause hearing loss, but you need to take her to the vet. It's possible that the antibiotics aren't getting into the ear due to a blockage, which may have caused the infection in the first place, and could also be causing the loss of hearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called the vet and he said that an inner ear infection can cause temporary hearing loss. Praying it is temporary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts
I called the vet and he said that an inner ear infection can cause temporary hearing loss. Praying it is temporary.
It can, definitely.

My dog is deaf in one ear from untreated infections. (His former owners just weren't into veterinary care, I guess. They left his broken hip untreated, too.) It's not so bad. He has trouble discerning where a sound is coming from, that's all. I worked hard at making recall really, really rewarding so he's motivated to come find me even when he can't tell where I'm calling him from. It took me months to even figure out that was the problem, that's how little it effects him.

Even completely deaf dogs get by okay. You just need to retrain to hand signals is all. When my old dog lost hearing due to age, I would stomp on the floor really hard if I was approaching him from behind or while he was sleeping, so as not to surprise him. You can buy a vibrating collar (not a shock collar!) and use it as your recall cue.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top