Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Injured Toe -- Experience?

My dog fell while playing w her frisbee 2 days ago and apparently injured her far inside toe on her left front leg. She has been limping slightly at the trot, not at the walk or canter, and yelps when the toe is manipulated. She will not be going to the vet for this unless it persists wo improvement over more than the next week or so, as my aunt who is a vet is w my family right now and is able to examine her thoroughly on a regular basis. However, the one thing she cannot tell outside of the office is whether it is broken or just sprained. She said this detail would not affect the course of treatment (rest, rest, rest!) and would only affect healing time.
I am wondering if anyone here has had experience w an injured toe? How long did it take to heal?
This is made all the worse by the fact that I'm 2000mi away from my dog for the next 3-4 weeks, as she's on vacation w my family on the beach. I also feel bad she can't even enjoy herself at the beach and is stuck in the house for possibly the remainder of the trip, waiting for her toe to heal. I'm just worried sick about her. Any advice?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My dog injured her toe about a year ago. It took 6 weeks of strict rest for it to really heal. Our vet prescribed rimadyl and she stopped limping after one dose. After about two or three weeks, my husband kept bugging me - can't she run just a little? what if I only let her run on the flexi? but she wants to run. He let her run, she started limping again after a few days. We repeated the rest, complete with whining and my husband letting her run after just a few weeks. She started limping again. Finally, my husband understood that she needed to rest the full six weeks. She's been fine since.

Hope your pup recovers quickly and fully!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I agree that rest is the answer. I've had several dogs with injured toes and as hard as it is to rest them completely, it's what's needed. Something for the pain is also a good idea. Pain slows healing according to some studies so I always opt for pain relief.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Tynan hurt his toe as a pup. I honestly can't remember how long it took to heal, but he was just fine. Sometimes pain meds can make an injury worse as the dog thinks he/she is fine and ends up making the injury worse if they can't feel the pain to slow them down.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Tynan hurt his toe as a pup. I honestly can't remember how long it took to heal, but he was just fine. Sometimes pain meds can make an injury worse as the dog thinks he/she is fine and ends up making the injury worse if they can't feel the pain to slow them down.

This may be true if the owner isn't aware that rest is necessary and allows the dog to decide their activity level. I control the activity level for injured dogs. They really don't have good judgement in that regard. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info all! I'm not sure if we'll opt for pain relief since she is not limping at the walk, just at the trot slightly. If we can keep her from trotting, which should be no problem if we only let her out to do her business, then she shouldn't be in too much pain right? All the same, I will ask my mom about it and see if I can get her to pay an astronomical New England vet bill for some pain medication ...she may or may not agree to that.
Too bad it sounds like she will be out for the rest of the trip, she has so much fun up there. I really hope she is well on her way to healed by the time a month has passed as she will have to go to the park to meet the dog she'll be living w once she comes back down here. I guess we'll see.
Gosh this is like my worst nightmare -- something happening to my dog while I'm not there to take care of her! She's literally never been injured or sick before (knock on wood!).
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
As someone with a long-lasting toe injury, I'd at least investigate pain relief. I have pain that keeps me awake at night and, because I've shifted my weight while walking, pain not associated with the original injury.

So sorry this happened while you're not able to care for her. It's a horrible, helpless feeling, but she's with people who care so that's good.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My mom talked to my aunt and she said she would mail us pain medication so we don't have to make a trip to the clinic, but that won't be for another week when she gets back home...were it up to me I would take her to the vet and get meds right away(the first week will probably be the most painful, I think anyway), but the main drawback of being being in FL while they're in MA, it's not really up to me. It is a horrible, helpless feeling. I hate it. I know my family loves her and will take excellent care of her, but they're just not as devoted to her as I am, ya know?
So the Noodle dog will have to tough it out for about a week, then she will have pain medication, and she will be on pretty strict rest for at least the next month if not longer.
Thanks for all the input, feel free to keep it coming.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Strict crate rest. As in, no activity except a leash walk outside to potty.

The reason I say this is because if the toe is broken, the only thing a vet can do is splint the entire foot. The splint will help support the toe so she's not putting a ton of weight on it. She'd have to be rested anyway.

But if the toe is broken and there's no splint, she's putting weight on it and it's going to hinder heeling. Which means that crate rest is even more important.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We do not have a crate for her up there.
AND (warning -- rant) my mom let her out early this morning and she wandered off, maybe expressing displeasure at being cooped up? Anyway, I got a call before 7 this morning that someone had my dog, so not being there I had to call my mom and give her their number, and I imagine she's retrieving Nika right now. It's just like Ugh! She's never going to heal at this rate. We have a small yard up north that backs up to the beach on one side and has a long driveway to the road on the other. When I'm there I usually loosely watch Nika out in the yard while smoking cigarettes, but my mom barely watches her at all save to glance through the windows every now and then. That's fine I guess 99% of the time since she doesn't usually go anywhere, but especially when she's injured it would be good to keep a closer eye on her I think. I guess it's understandable, cause they're used to just turning her loose unsupervised on their 5 acres, but this yard is like 1/10 that size, the only place for her to go is elsewhere.
My mom did say she would watch her more carefully in the future now.
I'm just frustrated and miss my dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! Nika is no longer limping at all, walk, trot or canter. They haven't tried manipulating the toe again, but if she is unresponsive to it when they do later today they are planning on taking her off rest and chalking it up to a simple strain. I'm so happy it doesn't seem to be a big deal and that she's doing better. =)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts