Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would share this little guy. I'm hoping he lives so if anyone has any similar stories to give me hope I'd appreciate it!

I saw a fawn laying on the side of the road and made my friend turn around to move it away, he was laying just on the edge and I thought if someone drove that way he'd get scared and jump up and get hit. As soon as I got out of the car he struggled to get up and run but his back leg was dragging....and twisted completely around.
photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

We rushed him to our vet. He had several fractures in his leg, and the other back one was sliced open but no breaks. His leg has been amputated and she's going to let us know how he's doing. My friends niece is a wildlife rehabber and has had many orphaned fawns in the past and will take him if he lives. And I get to help take care of him :) I named him Simon.

What really pisses me off is that someone hit him and then just kept driving. :mad: How can someone do that?? And his mom stood on the other side of the road and just watched...I hope she knows I was trying to help her baby.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Oh poor thing! That's terribly sad. I feel bad for his mom but I'm glad he's alright. I don't understand people. I mean accidents happen but how can you have no respect for life and just keep driving?!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I've had people hit dogs in front of me and keep going. I've also seen people go out of their way to hit turtles. The world is full of heartless bastards. I hope the poor dear( no pun intended) pulls through. We have a wildlife rehab program at my college and deer can be quite the sturdy little fighters.
Pull through Simon!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Kat reminded me. I've been know to stop for giant turtles and ducks, even in 5 o'clock traffic. There's just no way not to stop for them I don't give a **** who's honking. They need to wait! I've also seen a goose hit when I was little (in Romania) by the car in front of us. It was SO sad. We stopped but it was too late. She had died already.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kat, I'm really glad to hear they are fighters! I hope he pulls through but if not I'm glad he didn't have to die on the side of the road in pain.

People go so fast past my house and I have watched as they ran over one of our geese or ducks. That's one of the reasons we had to rehome them. I was sick of peeling them off the road and burying them. And no one EVER stopped and checked what they hit. :(

I'm hoping no news is good news right now since I know they vet would call if he didn't make it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still haven't heard....Everyone PLEASE cross your fingers and think good thoughts for this little guy!!! I'll be updating with more pictures as soon as I can get him home (I'm trying to be optimistic...)

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Here's hoping for the little one.
I'm crossing fingers toes, legs, etc.

That whole situation just makes me sick.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you harleyboysmom!!! I'm going to pick him up in a few minutes! He made it through the night!!!!

Reactions: Fearghas

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I am very happy with the good news. Poor thing is probably traumatized by the whole ordeal.
I would be interested to know how the fawn makes out at the rehab center.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is so sweet. He doesn't mind being held or having someone walk over and pick him up. He's learning how to walk (again). The poor thing probably just learned to walk a few days ago and now he has to learn all over again.

I'm keeping him for a little for the rehabber. He needs a little time to learn how to walk and drink from a bottle. Then he'll go to her, and she has a fawn a few weeks older that he can hang out with. That fawn is skittish and will be released eventually. Simon, this little guy, will stay with her for the rest of his life. She already has one buck who has lived there for all of his 4 years.

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (4).jpg

photo (5).jpg

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Whoo hoo go Simon! Glad he made it. I hope he lives a long and happy life. Keep us updated on him!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
He is doing great. He drank about an ounce of milk (doesn't sound like a lot but he does have a small tummy....)

Titan LOVES him. He's been cleaning him. :p But I'm trying to keep him away because I don't want to add "Fawn" to the list of strange things he RGs.

Sophia absolutely loves any baby animal, so she is in love with him and really wants him to play.

Duke is nervous and just wants the strange creature to go away.

photo (6).jpg

photo (7).jpg

photo (8).jpg

photo (9).jpg

photo (10).jpg

photo (11).jpg

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Awww poor thing! I'm so glad he made it. Still makes me angry that someone could do this (even if it was an accident) and drive away!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
efinley: you are an angel!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys....I couldn't leave him there. He would have died alone and in pain. :( One person met him the other day and just said "why? That's nature." NO IT IS NOT. A car is NOT nature. That made me really mad.

He is definitely bonded to me. It's adorable. He comes over and lays in my lap. And....he drank 4 1/2 ounces during the night!!! And peed! I am so excited and I feel silly for being excited that he peed. He has to be stimulated, he can't pee on his own yet so I was worrying me that he hadn't yet.

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
efinley you are awesome for rescuing him!! Keep us updated on his progress please! Will he eventually be able to run and bound with the missing leg or no?

My brother told me my mom hit a rabbit driving him to work the other day, she just said "oops" and kept driving... It was only a 30 mile an hour zone and 4 lane traffic, HOW did she not have time to stop or slow down to not hit it?!?? I have come to a complete stop on the same road because a squirrel decided to play chicken with my car (he just sat up and looked at me, I honked, still just stares at me till I got OUT of my car and said "Get off the road you crazy squirrel!".

I would of been balling my eyes out and had to of stopped to see if I could still save it. :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts