-Miniature Schnauzer
-Italian Greyhound
-Papillon
-Rat Terrier
-Shetland Sheepdog
-Toy/Miniature Poodle
-Toy Fox Terrier

Here are my questions!

1. Are they agile? I'm looking for a good sport dog to compete in agility and potentially obedience. I am also going to do dockdiving with the dog also.

2. How much exercise do they need? I am planning on giving the dog at least 1 30 min walk daily, and at least 30 mins - 1 h running free in a field at least 2-3 times a week.

3. Are they good with elderly people? I am planning on volunteering as a therapy dog at a local nursing home.

4. What motivates them? I need a dog with toy drive and food drive!

5. Are they good with other dogs and cats?

TYIA!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Do you have any experience doing agility, dock diving and therapy? How much experience do you have with dogs overall? How old are you and what living situation will the dog be in? What is your work schedule like?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have any experience doing agility, dock diving and therapy? How much experience do you have with dogs overall? How old are you and what living situation will the dog be in? What is your work schedule like?
I have experience doing agility and dockdiving but not therapy. I have tons of experience with dogs. I have had multiple different breeds, I have worked with disabled dogs (deaf dogs), I train using +R -P, and more. I am 12 and the dog would be mine. 3 other people live in my house; my mom, dad and 15 year old sister. I live in a townhouse with a small backyard but my school literally next door has a huge field. My dad works afternoons so he is home till 2 pm. I go to school at 8 am and come home at 3 pm. My mom's hours always change but she is always home in the evenings. Overall, the dog would only stay home alone for about 1 hour daily.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Toy fox terrier

I have a rescue TFT that appears to be purebred but may be a mix. Some of her temperament may have more to do with being a stray and under socialized than the breed. I joined a TFT group on fb and she both physically and behaviorally resembles many of the dogs on there. Overall they're spunky, sassy, mischievous, playful, cuddly, and bond closely to their owners. Delilah's a Velcro dog and has to be touching me or my boyfriend whenever we're sitting or lying down. And not next to us, but on top of us!

1) I'm going to do agility with mine and everyone says she's going to be awesome at it because she's so playful, agile, quick, and loves to climb and leap on and off of furniture. High play and food drive. I've seen a number of people in the group also doing agility with their dogs quite successfully.

My dog would not be a good therapy dog- she reactive and scared of some people and environments. A well bred and socialized dog might be different.

2) Delilah doesn't need much exercise- before she could come to work with me she'd be in a crate for 8 hours and still just want to cuddle when we got home. That being said, she LOVES playing and hiking. My dad and I were tossing a frisbee back and forth for a good hour and she sprinted back and forth screaming the whole time- we had to stop before she got exhausted because she wasn't going to stop at all on her own.

3) I already mentioned her reactivity so I would do research into breeders with calmer, more confident dogs if you wanted a TFT for therapy work. Delilah had a bad past but even so, she's so tiny I could imagine any sensitive TFT being easily scared if they don't have the confidence.

4) VERY food and toy motivated. She loves playing so much- tug, fetch, with cat wands, water- she gets so excited she starts screaming. She's been very easy to train. Food motivation is probably at least partly due to not eating when she was a stray- she was skin and bones when I got her.

5) she loves other dogs and playing with them but sometimes she can get intimidated by dogs that are very big or play too roughly. No cat experience but she loves my rabbit Sophie and will try to lick her face and cuddle with her.

One downside has been her tiny size- 6 lbs! She fell off the bed once and stunned herself so we had to bring her to the e vet. She's very delicate. And she doesn't realize it so she's constantly scaring me when she tries to climb and leap off of furniture.

But other than that she's a very fun, sweet little dog.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toy fox terrier

I have a rescue TFT that appears to be purebred but may be a mix. Some of her temperament may have more to do with being a stray and under socialized than the breed. I joined a TFT group on fb and she both physically and behaviorally resembles many of the dogs on there. Overall they're spunky, sassy, mischievous, playful, cuddly, and bond closely to their owners. Delilah's a Velcro dog and has to be touching me or my boyfriend whenever we're sitting or lying down. And not next to us, but on top of us!

1) I'm going to do agility with mine and everyone says she's going to be awesome at it because she's so playful, agile, quick, and loves to climb and leap on and off of furniture. High play and food drive. I've seen a number of people in the group also doing agility with their dogs quite successfully.

My dog would not be a good therapy dog- she reactive and scared of some people and environments. A well bred and socialized dog might be different.

2) Delilah doesn't need much exercise- before she could come to work with me she'd be in a crate for 8 hours and still just want to cuddle when we got home. That being said, she LOVES playing and hiking. My dad and I were tossing a frisbee back and forth for a good hour and she sprinted back and forth screaming the whole time- we had to stop before she got exhausted because she wasn't going to stop at all on her own.

3) I already mentioned her reactivity so I would do research into breeders with calmer, more confident dogs if you wanted a TFT for therapy work. Delilah had a bad past but even so, she's so tiny I could imagine any sensitive TFT being easily scared if they don't have the confidence.

4) VERY food and toy motivated. She loves playing so much- tug, fetch, with cat wands, water- she gets so excited she starts screaming. She's been very easy to train. Food motivation is probably at least partly due to not eating when she was a stray- she was skin and bones when I got her.

5) she loves other dogs and playing with them but sometimes she can get intimidated by dogs that are very big or play too roughly. No cat experience but she loves my rabbit Sophie and will try to lick her face and cuddle with her.

One downside has been her tiny size- 6 lbs! She fell off the bed once and stunned herself so we had to bring her to the e vet. She's very delicate. And she doesn't realize it so she's constantly scaring me when she tries to climb and leap off of furniture.

But other than that she's a very fun, sweet little dog.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
-Rat Terrier

Here are my questions!

1. Are they agile? I'm looking for a good sport dog to compete in agility and potentially obedience. I am also going to do dockdiving with the dog also.
My rescue Kuma who is a rat terrier or maybe even a mix, is very agile and very fast. We've topped his sprint at 25 mph by car. He catches things fast, but needs to work on being more refined and polished in his moves.

2. How much exercise do they need? I am planning on giving the dog at least 1 30 min walk daily, and at least 30 mins - 1 h running free in a field at least 2-3 times a week.
From what I red about Ratters upon adopting Kuma is that they adjust their energy needs to the family's energy. If you are moderate energy type of family then, he too would be. If you are energetic type of family he would be too. If you're a lazy type of family, he will be too. But like all terrieres though, he needs some sort of outlet as they do have huge amounts energy. Kuma's energy level is fixed on our family's energy which is the lower moderate energy, but we make sure he gets his good hour walk which he is jogging, running, stopping, walking, jumping when he feels like it and then we give him a good 5 minute sprint.

As far as terrier's go, Ratters seem to have a natural switch off button where I think most people would have train the switch off button on other terriers, but don't qoute me on that because I never dreamed I'd own a terrier of any breed.

3. Are they good with elderly people? I am planning on volunteering as a therapy dog at a local nursing home.
I think this question is more based on the individual dog and not a breed itself. Some dogs in the same breed may not be able to handle elderly people with their strange oxygen tanks and their walking sticks, yet others will probably love up on them regardless. It also has to do with training. Kuma is somewhat aloof with strangers even in their own home, so I would not pick him as a canditate for therapy, where as someone else who owns this breed happened to get one who loves everyone and doesn't mind being loved on which would make a perfect candidate for therapy work.

4. What motivates them? I need a dog with toy drive and food drive!
Again I think this is based on the individual dog and not the breed. Kuma is very food motivated. Because of that I can train him easily and he catches on quick, but he needs to polish what he was trained as he is very sloppy in his execusions. (It might be my fault too as I was just learning about clicker training.) But he is by far no where interested in toys at all. Even squeeky toys as I was told Ratters were known for loving. I've only found one toy that squeeked that he would play with and that's only if I instigated the play. If I left his favorite toy on the ground, he would by pass it. He won't even looks at it.

5. Are they good with other dogs and cats?
This would have to do with training in my opinion. Many dogs weather mixed or pure can get along great with dogs and cats when conditioned to them. Kuma when I got him attacked all dogs when he would go greet them without any warning he was going to attack. With counter conditioning and positive reinforcements, I was able to change his feelings about meeting dogs and now, when he sees them, he will greet them, sniff them and come to me instead of attacking. The only problem is he hates puppies, adolecent puppies and teenage puppies and will litterly seek to harm them.

I do not know if he is good with cats as I don't own any cats and I've never bothered to see if he would be okay with cats because I don't plan on owning any cats anytime soon.

I think you might do best to find a sheltered dog who would best fit what your looking for. I would go to a rescue who does fostering as they would be able to tell you more about the dog vs going to a dog shelter. If you want to start out with puppies, I suggest looking for a reputable breeder who's dogs have great personalities and can give you references of their puppies who they've placed doing well in agility/obedience/therapy/dock diving.

Good luck and I hope you get what you're looking for. Sorry, as far as purebreds go, Kuma my rescued rat terrier is one of two purebreds I've owned. The other was a pug. All other dogs I've owned have been mixes of who knows what.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.