Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 14 year old Chihuahua named Sammy that was diagnosed with IBD several years ago, and until last April, he was on the Hills d/d prescription diet, and had bouts of vomiting at the rate of about once a month. A few days on Flagyl, and he was back on an even keel. That was his "normal".

Back in April he developed Pancreatitis, was put on a bland diet and medication. He recovered, and (knock on wood) hasn't had a relapse of Pancreatitis. But since then, I've been unable to find a commercial diet he that doesn't cause him to vomit. Sometimes it goes a few weeks after being
S-L-O-W-L-Y weaned onto the new diet, then the vomiting begins. I've tried three different prescription diets, as well as "superpremium" diets, such as a vegan one, as well as novel sources of protein diets, none of which have worked.

Sammy is currently on a very low dose of Flagyl daily (50mg.) as well as Pepcid AC daily. The most successful diet Sammy tolerates is one that I make, and which he's been on for about 2 months now: Quinoa with Tilapia. I mix in a dog vitamin. He's actually doing very well on this diet and the meds, But I know it's not a complete and balanced diet!

Could any of you suggest what else I could add to Sammy's diet, so it would be more "rounded out" and healthy?

Aside from his IBD issues, Sammy is a very happy and active dog. He's at a good weight, and his coat is in very good condition. I brush his teeth daily and his breath isn't bad. You'd never know he was 14!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
: Quinoa with Tilapia. I mix in a dog vitamin. He's actually doing very well on this diet and the meds, But I know it's not a complete and balanced diet!

Could any of you suggest what else I could add to Sammy's diet, so it would be more "rounded out" and healthy?
That's actually a decent diet for this issue. Contact a vet nutritionist to make it more complete. I'm not sure there is a vet nutritionist on this board so that's your best bet.

Diplomate Directory American College of Veterinary Nutrition

I assume you've also tried Purina HA? I've seen IBD dogs do well on that but I'm sure you've exhausted that as well. The Tilapia and quinoa though are GREAT choices. You may not need to add THAT much more. I knew a dog on that combo for her IBD and she didn't need many more supplements-- I think Vit K. I'll see if I can find what was recommended for her but in the meantime I think the vet nutritionist is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Lily has Lymphangiectasia which is very similar to IBD and sometimes they are diagnosed together. Did your dog have an intestinal biopsy to confirm JUST IBD without Lymphangiectasia? If so, then any form of chicken is completely out of the question. Lily eats Royal Canin Low Fat canned. The canned formula has a Pork base, but remember the dry formula has a chicken base and can never be eaten by dogs with these illnesses.

The pancreatitis issue leads me to believe that he may have a touch of "L". The reason being that dogs will "L" develop pancreatitis very easily. Lily was just hospitalized a month ago for it. Also, as Holly mentioned Purina HA is a great choice and I know a lot of dogs that do well on it. Commercial diets usually don't work because of their high fat content. The protein source IS important, BUT the fat content is the most important. I would be talking to my Vet about prescription diets. The two foods I mentioned are both prescription. Some of these dogs have a vitamin deficiency. Has he ever been tested for well well he is absorbing them? That would be my next step.

I also wanted to add that there is a support forum if your interested for dogs with all forms of PLE, IBD, and L. The people there are awesome and are very educated about these diseases.

http://savelouie.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both of your responses.

My vet said it's common for a dog with IBD to develop Pancreatitis. It was the first and only time he's had it, and like I said, there hasn't been a recurrence. I looked up the symptoms for Lymphangiectasia, it doesn't sound like my dog.

Sammy hasn't had the biopsy, he was diagnosed via a radioscope. The vet said if medication didn't control the vomiting, then the next step would be the biopsy, but Flagyl controls things pretty well.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have an 14 year old Chihuahua named Sammy that was diagnosed with IBD several years ago,
Sammy is currently on a very low dose of Flagyl daily (50mg.) as well as Pepcid AC daily. The most successful diet Sammy tolerates is one that I make, and which he's been on for about 2 months now: Quinoa with Tilapia. I mix in a dog vitamin. He's actually doing very well on this diet and the meds, But I know it's not a complete and balanced diet!

I would be afraid of mercury poison with the fish all the time. Is there another meat that Sammy can eat? I know its hard my dog can only eat turkey. Any other meat reeks havoc on my dogs stomach. The quinoa is great because it is actually a seed not a grain and is easy to digest and full of protein. I would stay with the simple diet for about 6 months and let the intestines heal. As long as you are giving a good quality vitamin and mineral supplement he will be fine. Many dogs are on limited ingredient dog foods and do just fine . I would add some pumpkin to the diet and you may not need the flagyl. When I changed to home cooking it was about a month and all the symptoms stopped. That was 2 years ago my dogs stomach is fine.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Thanks for both of your responses.

My vet said it's common for a dog with IBD to develop Pancreatitis. It was the first and only time he's had it, and like I said, there hasn't been a recurrence. I looked up the symptoms for Lymphangiectasia, it doesn't sound like my dog.

Sammy hasn't had the biopsy, he was diagnosed via a radioscope. The vet said if medication didn't control the vomiting, then the next step would be the biopsy, but Flagyl controls things pretty well.
Great site for info
DogAware.com Health: Digestive Disorders in Dogs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone again! I really appreciate your input!

Yes, I've tried pumpkin. Most of the time, Sammy's problem is in the way of vomiting more than diarrhea. He's been on probiotics, and chinese digestion herbs (sold under the name Quiet Digest). Really, nothing has worked for him as much as the daily low dose of Flagyl.

I'd love to find a commercial food that he tolerates, if I can't I stay with Quinoa with Tilapia, and see what veggies I can work into his diet, along with the vitamins. By the way, as fish go, Tilapia have much less mercury than other fish because they are fast-growing and short-lived, with a primarily herbivorous diet.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Tilapia is usually what I've seen suggested for dogs regarding homemade diets so I think you're probably fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I haven't yet tried low-dose steroids. I guess, like a lot of people I sort of fear using those medications for long term use. I might need to reconsider it though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
steroids can help a lot, without them Lily wouldnt be alive today. They are scary and have tons of bad side effects. I would tweek the diet some more before I resort to them, even if you had to try a prescription diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts