Dog Forum banner

Indoor dog walking - exercise health

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jengabbard 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My girlfirend and I are both avid dog lovers, having been born and raised with dogs and currently own a 1 year old Shepherd/Lab mix. As I am sure you many of you are aware, labs tend to have a lot of energy and that is definitely the case with our pup Jake.

In the summer, we feel it is important for his health to keep him as active as possible. We like to take him on a few walks a day (weather permitting). We also enjoy taking him to dog parks as he loves to socialize with other dogs and it is a great way to get out some of his energy, which seems to be endless. However, we also happen to live in Michigan where we experience pretty harsh winters. This makes it much more difficult for us give Jake a sufficient amount of exercise.

For the past few months, we have been discussing solutions to our problem and realized that at least in our area, there are no indoor facilities which offer the ability to not only socialize your dog in an off-leash setting but also to be able to walk your dog indoors.

This really peaked out interest and we decided to do some market research to see if we were the only cold weather dog owners that experienced this issue. We do realize there are indoor dog parks that allow dogs to socialize off-leash but we have not yet found a place that also allows them to be walked on an indoor track so to speak.

With all of that being said, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take the short survey we put together. The link is provided below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WP6SQDZ

We are also obviously open to any feedback we can get here on this forum.

Thank you for your time and participation.

Russ and Jenna

See less See more
#2 ·
I live in Michigan as well so I understand the issue with trying to get in enough exercise. I've found that during the winter months it's much easier to focus more on mentally stimulating activities like nose work games, tug, and learning new tricks. My dog seems to do well with lots of indoor activities as long as I keep them interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.