Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here much because I've been super busy with moving, but yesterday I was in Portland after meeting my new roommate and their dog (that went wonderfully by the way!) and it was nasty and wet outside so after Cosmo played in the mud that morning we decided to try to find somewhere inside we could take him before we left late that afternoon.

We ended up finding an indoor dog park, and got really excited about the idea! When we got there it was kind of weirdly located, looked like it had just been an old warehouse before but it was kind of cute I guess? Haha anyway we went in and immediately it was a little weird, there were like five dogs hanging out in the lobby but they were barking at us when we came in at the gate that separates new people from the lobby. It made Cosmo kind of uneasy but I think that's because it reminded him of a vet. I just assured him he would have fun when we got into the actual park!

We had to get a fax of his vet records to show he had his shots and we filled out some paperwork and stuff so that was fine. The other dogs calmed down and when we went in it was fine except for a snarl from the older big white one, but anyway I digress. It was 12 dollars for entry. I thought it was weird the lack of windows, and you actually couldn't see into the park from the lobby. We ended up having to walk through a messy weird corridor and two closed door also with no windows before we reached the actual park. Once we finally got to the main door the lady said "they'll surround the door but you just have to keep walking" and I didn't know what that meant but I just agreed and we went in.

It was complete chaos! There were about 20 dogs there and they all rushed Cosmo the second we stepped in. One of them actually attacked him and tossed him to the ground! I felt so horrible and guilty and I tried to step in but the two ladies there didn't do anything and there were NO OWNERS! They just dropped their dogs off for daycare! We were the only actual owners there (my boyfriend and i) which I thought was so weird!!

Anyway Cosmo was terrified for a while the dogs kept following us and barking in Cosmo's face and pushing at him and being really rude to him, chasing him and I just wanted to leave but the lady said "it takes a couple minutes for them to warm up" and I was so angry I just wanted to get out! After a minute though everything did kind of relax but Cosmo still stayed close to us and didn't play much. We tried to engage him and he would play and chase a ball for a second but if another dog chased it he would give up and come back. There were a couple dogs who wouldn't leave him alone still like this boxer, and eventually we just told her he wasn't having a good time and left.

The room had Astro turf and so it smelled really bad of pee in there, and when the dogs weren't bullying Cosmo there was absolutely nothing going on. They were just standing around and a couple seemed neurotic or something and they retreated to corners away from the other dogs. The only person there was a lady who worked there and she didn't seem to know how to handle dogs or dog fights or bullying dogs at all. The dogs were bored out of their mind because there was literally like 20 of them and zero stimulation in the room, so most of them just stood around and barked like crazy when someone showed up at the gate to pick one up, or a couple just humped each other.

Ahh it was so weird and wrong and felt incredibly awful! And a complete waste of money! Gahhhh just needed to rant!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow, not so much a disaster as a warning. You all got out okay, yay. I'm feeling sorry now for the dogs left in that place. Sounds like it's being used for cut-rate doggy daycare and of the worst kind. Eek.
I can't think of anything worse than randomly penning a bunch of dogs together, by themselves. Anything could happen.
Second lesson I get from reading, is... go with the gut feeling. You felt weird, dogs felt weird, turned out to be a bad place.
I went to a local dogpark for a while and I was always leaving on account of other peoples dogs. (either too rough, or so terrified that everyone's dog piled on to it, ugh), so that was it for me.
On the weekend, just visiting toronto, killing time, walked into a dog park and ogled dogs (I'm currently dogless) and it looked like heaven, calm dogs, calm greetings, gentle play or dogs playing with owners and ignoring other dogs, so am jealous because everything was fabulous there. So I'm thinking gut-feeling can be a useful gauge if you have dog knowledge.
Anyway, thanks for the rant. Useful, and wow, glad it turned out okay for you all.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Wooooow. Does this place have a Yelp or something you can expose this stuff to? Obviously it's a good idea to never go THERE again! How's Cosmo doing now?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's completely normal so it didn't affect him at all mentally or physically he's sitting here being his doofy self but I'm definitely leaving a negative review! It was so insane I can't imagine how dogs haven't been injured yet?? There was one small dog that three other dogs were chasing and it was clearly prey driven and the little dog was petrified! :(

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Aw poor guy! There is an indoor dog park here (run by the "behaviorist" who we took a class with). It seems terrible. It's really tiny, and there is no one watching the dogs.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing that blew me away is how little supervision there was ??? These dogs are just tossed in and I guess they kind of hope for the best? I'm surprised they aren't shut down by now from injury or even death. They didn't even ask Cosmo's tenperament. If the wrong dog goes in it could be disastrous

·
Registered
880 Posts
Indoor Dog Park's could be awesome but for the most part the idea terrifies me. Trucker would be the neurotic one in the corner because it is the same at an outside dog park when he get's anxious over the number of people (owners) clustered together. I think this is the reason at least. Now I watch closely though when he goes over to the corner and sits or lays down because other dogs take it as the time to target him (I end up having to pull them off and we leave).

This is the Indoor Dog Park around here (check out there web cam, I would never send my dog here):
http://www.clubdogzwebcams.com:8080/

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Some dogs just do not do well in that environment. We had Samantha in doggy day care at the local Pet Smart. She was at first just overwhelmed by all the other dogs, then when we came back to get her, she was sitting in the corner, obviously not having a good time. We have not put her in that situation since, but in that case, the dogs are supervised, Samantha just didn't like it. If we have to leave her, we now arrange for one on one human contact, which she much prefers. Frankly, we hardly ever leave her, though, maybe once a year, if that. Whenever possible, she goes with us.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I certainly won't be using it for any form of daycare, I think he'd rather be sitting in his crate while I'm at work than getting pummeled and bullied by 20 dogs! It was just a weird poorly run facility :( it makes me want to open my own doggy daycare and make it better! My boyfriend and I were talking about all the ways we would make it better and ugh!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah I certainly won't be using it for any form of daycare, I think he'd rather be sitting in his crate while I'm at work than getting pummeled and bullied by 20 dogs! It was just a weird poorly run facility :( it makes me want to open my own doggy daycare and make it better! My boyfriend and I were talking about all the ways we would make it better and ugh!
The ones in Portland, Oregon look beatifully run.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ones in Portland, Oregon look beatifully run.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not the indoor one :/ It was called Fido's. The other dog parks are amazing!! (outdoor ones) I took Cosmo to one by a park and it was lovely and clean :) There was a dog that got a little rough but other than that no issues and lots of place to run and play. And it has been raining so there was a nice pool of water where it had collected that I think may have been intentional for him to leap around it at the back with one of those big expensive 25 dollars plastic balls to push around.

Fido's does have an area you can rent out for an hour at a time I believe, and you can use their agility equipment so I think that's what I'll use it for to practice if I ever return because when I move in a couple weeks I'm entering Cosmo into agility. And its for your personal use and no other dogs can come in.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Not the indoor one :/ It was called Fido's. The other dog parks are amazing!! (outdoor ones) I took Cosmo to one by a park and it was lovely and clean :) There was a dog that got a little rough but other than that no issues and lots of place to run and play. And it has been raining so there was a nice pool of water where it had collected that I think may have been intentional for him to leap around it at the back with one of those big expensive 25 dollars plastic balls to push around.

Fido's does have an area you can rent out for an hour at a time I believe, and you can use their agility equipment so I think that's what I'll use it for to practice if I ever return because when I move in a couple weeks I'm entering Cosmo into agility. And its for your personal use and no other dogs can come in.
That stinks. From the pictures/reviews online they look amazing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That stinks. From the pictures/reviews online they look amazing.
I actually just looked them up and the pictures on the screen are NOT the place we visited! Not sure what that place is, are you looking at this place : https://www.flickr.com/photos/foreverlawn/3508845650

Because that's not where we went! It didn't look like that. We went here :
http://my.datasphere.com/files/mydatasphere/styles/large/public/business/images/0215/1424473473_10733971_1004514892907351_7639723671924930817_n.jpg

only when we went it was about 20 dogs. No owners, just us and like 20 dogs. The people who took this picture are standing up on this platform where dogs couldnt go (safety reasons) but there were a ton of dogs, nothing else going on, and the room smelled like pee. I saw a couple pictures of some place with a cafe and stuff and agility equipment laying around but that's not at all how it was. It was completely unstimulating. Also this is NOT !! the place we went: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/77/d2/52/77d2528b8b9321581e883eec42a13ae8.jpg

This was: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fido's+Indoor+Dog+Park/@45.4873916,-122.6405344,3a,75y,250.41h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfqUc3D0nOcfF8Rbe6S2g2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x7015a01cf6420638!6m1!1e1

·
Registered
880 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts