Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does you dog indicate? And how did you teach it? I don't know if it's just my dogs, but when trying to teach articles, they never seem to put 2 + 2 together when you just down or sit them on the articles, they do it willingly when asked, but even when showing them or pointing out the article, they never see it as a cue.

So, having tried and failed the "normal" way with Bus, I'm now trying to shape any sort of indication based on recognition of an article.

I would very much like him to down on them, because he's already low and it can be hard to tell if he's sitting, but (guilty confession) he doesn't really down on command- he does it as a default "waiting" behavior out in public (usually at our therapy dog visits where I don't/can't have treats/toy to reward- I do praise verbally, which is probably why he does it often), but at home it is more of a challenge to catch and reward- he'll offer it eventually if I wait him out while we're playing ball, but he usually backs up about 5 feet first. I've tried luring him under a chair previously, and he seems to think I just want him to crawl under chairs. I may try that again, and can keep trying to isolate down from the other stuff he does when we're playing ball, but I figure I can teach him that the article is a valuable item, and to indicate it any way, then require a more specific indicator later.

He's terrified (shakes, hides, refuses food) of the clicker, so I've been using a verbal marker and/or his treat and train (beeps and dispenses a treat). Last night we worked on "recognizing" the articles and interacting with them in any way. He was nose touching it at first, then eventually started pawing it, so I started rewarding only for that since I'd like him to put his feet on it- and hopefully eventually down. By the end of the day, he was digging with both feet most of the time, I guess the next step will be to get that solid, then reward still feet on it, as he kicked it across the room a few times. Sometimes he's stretching down in a playbow like motion when he does it, and I'm giving him extra praise/reward for that as well.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This is the method I taught Molly with. Even though we only use tracking as a 'game' this is where you start.......maybe you can find a few tips that will be helpful to you!! Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.