Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog destroys every toy she's given. I'm having a heck of a time trying to find toys she can't completely ruin in less than a week since it seems most dogs like this are big dogs. She is not. She's probably not much more than ten pounds. Most toys for dogs her size were not meant for aggressive chewers like her. She tears up ropes and plush toys though she loves them. Our rope has only survived because I don't let her chew on it. She eats the strings when she manages to get them off. She was given a bone for larger dogs which she wouldn't touch until not the long ago. All of a sudden she loved it. Then we had to take it away because she managed to bite a rather large piece off. We've given her antlers. One she still loves to chew on. The other I had to take away because she was actually chipping pieces off. She completely destroyed any tennis balls. Tears the fuzz off and breaks the ball into pieces. We gave her a fire hose toy since that's supposed to be tough material. I no longer have faith in those fire houses. The ends are badly frayed and she broke one of the squeakers. The only toy left without any signs of wear is her Kong toy which could very well be because it's the only toy she doesn't sit there and chew on. So basically, what can I get that'll last more than a few weeks?

Also, I have another question. Are there any good toys she can entertain herself with? She seems to think I should be playing with her all day. I plan on getting a bubble machine because, even if she doesn't care for it, the cats will love it. I wanted to get a tennis ball thrower machine, but that's expensive and she'd probably just tear up all the balls. She's also scared of pretty much everything like cords, baskets, boxes, and even going under things like tables.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The majority of dog toys aren't really made for the dog to do as they please with- most stuffed, plastic, or vinyl toys are pretty easily chewed up by any dog that is persistent. In my house, stuffed/soft toys are mostly for interactive play, when the dog is fetching them and bringing them back, or we're playing tug, etc. He has a few that I let him have access to in the house, and he'll periodically chew one up or destuff one, but it's not unexpected. Tennis balls are only interactive toys because they don't last long otherwise. He has lots of toys without functional squeakers- honestly I'm rarely sad when the squeakers get broken, because he drives me nuts. Luckily he mostly prefers interactive play, though he does have a few toys that he has all the time, and some I selected purely for durability- those usually aren't his favorites, because it's just more fun to destroy things! I also usually buy stuff that's at least a "size up" from whatever his size should be, as it's harder for him to really chew something that's a little big.

Some toys you might try:
Kong wobbler (this is probably my favorite food dispenser toy because it's easy to fill and clean)- hard plastic, too big for a dog that size to easily pick up or crunch, you can make it more challenging by putting a toy in to slow down the food dispensing, or even another (small) food dispensing toy.

Starmark treat dispensing chew ball- this ball is pretty squishy, and just gives under his crunch. I fill it with stuff for him to get out, or will use it as the inner chamber in his wobbler. He'll chase it just as a ball too, and it holds up well enough. It's big enough that he's not real keen on just chewing on it by itself... he wants it full of goodies!

Planet Dog balls/toys. Specifically those rated for heavy chewers. Very squishy, they just give, rather than breaking. Have a guarantee, get one a little bigger if you think your dog will chew hard so she can't get as much leverage. Bus has a few of the little balls, and I let him chew on them here and there. He's a powerful chewer, but his teeth are flat from wear, and they've never sustained damage.

Chuckit ultra balls- we use these instead of tennis balls. They're thicker rubber than a tennis ball, so more durable, and no fuzz to rip off. I don't think he's ever destroyed one, and they're cheaper than the PD ones.

I've experienced less splintering with moose vs elk antlers, the moose kind seem more consistently dense. Ours come from Acadia Antlers, because they are usually at local shows and I just stock up then. They're not his favorite chew, probably because he can't destroy them in 5 minutes.

Himalayan chews are usually the go to for chewing when he's not directly supervised, as they're more durable than bully sticks, but he prefers them to antlers. They're essentially hard cheese, so they're pretty safe as far as I can tell. I get the biggest or second biggest size ones, and only let him chew them for 1/2 hour or so at a time because they do get a little softer from his spit.

Extra thick/braided/ring bully sticks- He really likes bully sticks, and I've found that the braided ones last longer because there's 3 sticks, have also had good luck with the super thick ones lasting longer, as well as the ring shaped ones because he can't get good leverage to really chew hard. I don't bother buying the other kinds anymore.

Nylabone has some durable chews/bones, but Bus doesn't like them, so see if she has interest first. They're pretty good about labeling their stuff that's for power chewers, so look for that.

Food dispensing toys- if you want to keep her busy, this is where you will find peace! Most are fairly durable and/or made to be difficult for the dog to pick up/get IN their mouth. Bus has lots, and while he's pretty rough while getting the stuff out, he usually leaves them alone after they're empty. You can usually increase the level of difficulty though, so they can be made to last pretty long.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Look at the Heavy Duty section in the BarkShop! :) My dog is a really heavy chewer too (2 crates destroyed, he's working on his third now...), but these toys seem great for him. This one is his new favorite! Though I'm not sure how your pup would like it, if she isn't too found of her Kong.
https://barkshop.com/items/orbee-tuff-strawberry-dog-toy

I just bought him this one today. I'll give you an update on it when it comes in!
https://barkshop.com/items/this-means-s-more-small

But they definitely have sizes for all dogs! Customer Service (is awesome, for one) actually advised that I stay away from some of the toys, saying that they would be too small for my 22lb beagle.

Anyways, if you decide to buy anything from there, use this link:
https://barkshop.com/r/SJS77BW9

Because I "invited" you to buy something from them, I'll get a $10 credit... and you'll get a free "mystery treat" with your first purchase!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'll be looking into some of the stuff. She loves anything she can chew on. Her Kong toy she likes for fetch, but hasn't taken to chewing on it. Might be because it's an awkward shape. She's had Nylabones before but ended up eating them. I'll look into some tougher ones. As far as food dispensers go, I might get her one, but she gets enough food as it is. I'll also try out the moose antlers. Both of hers are elk, I'm pretty sure.

I'll definitely go through BarkShop and see what they have!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you considered just feeding her from a food dispensing treat, instead of from a bowl? It would definitely keep her self entertained.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's used to getting a mix of dry and wet food so that might not end well. Not to mention I already have a heck of a time making sure she's getting the right amount of food. I don't really feel it's right to make her work for her meals anyway. That's something she should get no matter what. Not something she gets if she manages to get it out of a toy. Plus she gets fed twice a day. Not necessarily when I need her to be entertained.

·
Registered
917 Posts
No toy is indestructible. If your dog is a heavy chewer than your best bet is to take them away when you aren't playing. I've found the thicker canvas type hold up better, but I'm finding that lately most the plush types I've bought come apart at the seams within the first week, and Freyja isn't a rough dog. She is actually pretty gentle with her toys other than playing tug. I just buy stuffed toys from the flea market, at least they don't fall apart when carried around. Food puzzles are great, all my dogs love them. I don't feed kibble so I break up treats into small pieces and put some in each toy. I wouldn't count them out. The best ones for my guys is a cube, not sure of the exact name.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't just take everything away from her. She needs things to do when I'm not playing with her. I don't plan on taking away her meals. I'd be paranoid that she wasn't eating enough. And I don't want her to be bored when I'm not entertaining her. She needs to be able to entertain herself. I know everything will fall apart eventually, but it would be nice if she had some things that wouldn't fall apart within a week without close supervision.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When I'm using a food/treat dispensing toy, I put part of my dog's regular feeding amount into it, not anything extra. He always gets it all, if there's some that he doesn't get out, I'll dump it for him when he's done, but it's usually empty. The goal is not deprivation, it's environmental enrichment: http://texasvetbehavior.com/Canine_Enrichment.pdf

For a destructive dog who needs access to toys all the time, I'd probably just get a large number of cheap toys and plan to spend a lot of time cleaning up parts :) You might try Petedge, they sell bulk toys, or just shop around and stock up when places are having sales.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need things she can have by herself and I don't have to worry for at least a little while. I'm going to have to go back to school and she's going to be home alone. She pretty much just sulks, but I still want her to have options. I don't want to get a bunch of cheap rope toys and stuffed animals that she'll destroy within moments and end up eating. She does eat string and she will eat it in large quantities. I can't watch her every second of the day.

So far the best things I've found are elk antlers and fire hose toys. Both have lasted a few weeks without enough damage to be considered dangerous to her. I tried a moose antler since it was suppose to be so dense and strong, but it lasted a few days before she started getting pieces off and I had to take it away.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Take a look at the Jolly Pets Jolly balls ...........my son has large chewers and these are just about the only ball/toy they haven't destroyed....he has the tug and toss heavy duty ball and the teaser ball and both are still 'alive' since xmas!

·
Registered
37 Posts
A vet tech gave me a wonderful idea once and Tank loved it. She suggested putting a wet/dry dog food combination or peanut butter in a Kong and freezing it. He spent a good hour or two trying to lick it all out. The coldness was soothing to his sore puppy gums as he was still teething at that point. Try it! Maybe the peanut butter would be better, so it's more like a treat then a meal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts