Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone may be able to steer me towards a super-super-super-super heavy duty dog toy. Tynan is a very aggressive chewer and most toys are toast within 5 minutes. He is not interested in the common kong toys and he killed the heavy duty kong Frisbee.

I can never find anything in the pet stores that can withstand his chewing/playing.

Anyone got anything that might work for Tynan?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here I'm hoping for such a thing to exist, I bought plenty of so-called "indestructible" toys only for Garm to tear them apart that same day, German Shredder I call him.

Eventually I had to come up with dispensable home-made toys to avoid bankruptcy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Gough Nuts?
Guarantee
Original GoughNut
Never had any, but have heard good things.

Planet Dog?
All of Planet Dog's products are 100% satisfaction guarantees and have been since 1997
Specifically their orbee balls and other "tuff" products.
My dogs have a bunch of their orbee balls, they're very squishy, but because of that, don't seem to sustain much damage. It helps that Bus' teeth are all pretty much flat, so not much piercing power, but they take being crushed well, and my bigger dogs had bigger versions which seemed to hold up well too.

Boomer balls. If it can take a polar bear, it can take a dog!
Zoo Balls, Zoo Toys, Balls For Dogs, Herding Balls, Animal Enrichment, Indestructible Plastic Ball - Boomer Ball - Boomer Ball
I recommend the 10" for medium/smaller dogs, probably 14" for 60lbs+. You want them to not be able to get their mouth around it. Eventually they will get enough teeth "gashes" in it that they will be able to pick it up and/or pick it apart, but you should get a fair amount of use before then. If your dog pushes it with their nose, and also scrapes it up, it may rub their nose and make it bleed, word to the wise. My dogs seem to instinctively know to target the plug as the weak point, and eventually it can be worn down.

Egge. Similar to the ball, but egg shape.
https://www.chewy.com/jolly-pets-jolly-egg-purple-12-inch/dp/102429?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Jolly Pets&utm_term=&gclid=COehzvP6o80CFYE2gQodb_EJUw

That's about all I can think of offhand :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
This might not be of much help, but if your dog likes carrots you could try giving him those. They wouldn't be very durable, but at least they're completely edible. A lot of store toys make me nervous, since not many are made from edible materials.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm hoping someone may be able to steer me towards a super-super-super-super heavy duty dog toy. Tynan is a very aggressive chewer and most toys are toast within 5 minutes. He is not interested in the common kong toys and he killed the heavy duty kong Frisbee.

I can never find anything in the pet stores that can withstand his chewing/playing.

Anyone got anything that might work for Tynan?
How about 100% cotton rope? I made a flirt pole and a tug toy with it for Bri. It's basically just a how long you want it rope and then make two knots.

She can chew on it for ages (she's an AmStaff mix and a very motivated chewer!), and if she manages to get small strains off of it I don't need to worry, since it's 100% cotton. Not to mention that, if it's really done done, I just throw it out and make another one :)

The rope toys you can buy are just not woven tightly enough.

I buy my rope here: https://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=6
You can even choose between 3-strand or solid braid.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This might not be of much help, but if your dog likes carrots you could try giving him those. They wouldn't be very durable, but at least they're completely edible. A lot of store toys make me nervous, since not many are made from edible materials.
haha now that you mention it, garm loves munching on pumpkin, i don't think he even likes the stuff but he needs something in his mouth at all times so two birds with one stone i guess. they said we couldnt make eating veggies fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Boomer balls. If it can take a polar bear, it can take a dog!
Zoo Balls, Zoo Toys, Balls For Dogs, Herding Balls, Animal Enrichment, Indestructible Plastic Ball - Boomer Ball - Boomer Ball
I recommend the 10" for medium/smaller dogs, probably 14" for 60lbs+. You want them to not be able to get their mouth around it. Eventually they will get enough teeth "gashes" in it that they will be able to pick it up and/or pick it apart, but you should get a fair amount of use before then. If your dog pushes it with their nose, and also scrapes it up, it may rub their nose and make it bleed, word to the wise. My dogs seem to instinctively know to target the plug as the weak point, and eventually it can be worn down.

My mastiff had the double boomer ball and it was his favorite toy in the world...nothing lasted with this dog but that thing...LOL but we had to learn how to play soccer with him!!! He would kick that thing then chase it across the yard then bring it over to us to kick around with him. Watch out when your 170lb mastiff is barreling toward you ready to kick a goal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts